What's new

UPDATED: iPad Event October 16th (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Gonna be some tight timing in October. They just set their earnings call for October 20. Not sure if that's enough time to launch the iPad prior to then, but even if they did, obviously the sales impact would not be reflected in their earnings call, which ended Sept. 27. The 10 million or so iPhone 6s will be reflected though. ;)

An iPad announcement just before the earnings call might be a way to make them look like they're on a roll. Check out our last quarter earnings buoyed by iPhone 6 launch, and now we're going to debut new iPads for the holidays. Not sure what the historical timing is in terms of Apple releasing new products before an earnings call...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Carlo you are on the right track but wrong direction. Apple has significant history of announcing new products the day or week AFTER earnings call. Keeps things clean.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ah ok makes sense. So then we're looking at end of October for the Max iPad. Got it. :rolling-smiley:

Obviously it can't be the day after the call this time, because then they'd break Dalrymple's streak. :blink:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Wow I had missed the whole Jim Dalrymple noping the October iPad event thing. Considering my iPad 3 is on its last legs (cracked glass, etc) I am REALLY counting on new iPads in 2014. Hope just the date is wrong, or that the event will be emphasizing retina iMacs or whatever. I can't imagine how Apple can go over a year without iPad updates

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think and hope there will be new iPads this Fall. But, Apple has no competition for tablets. Not really. The Amazon Fire is low-end. No one buys Android tablets. Apple might hold off for six months to launch a big refresh and get their product line staggered.Because refreshing their *entire* product line -- hardware, software, everything-- within a month, annually, is crazy.Just thinking out loud.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna say the iOS devices have been on nearly matching yearly cycles for the last few years (iPhone in Sept '12, '13 and '14; iPad in Oct '12, Nov '13 and potentially Oct/Nov '14). So releasing an updated iPad in the next few weeks fits that pattern.

Gold color, whatever, I just need it to have 256GB option (or higher)... :D

Actually the interesting thing I read somewhere is that it may have an antireflective screen which I think the iPad could benefit from, as I use it very differently than I do an iPhone.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ted Todorov said:
Wow I had missed the whole Jim Dalrymple noping the October iPad event thing. ...
Dalrymple "Nope"d the "rumored October 21st event" specifically. That still leaves the 28th, and the 14th (although if it's the 14th we should see an invite no later than Monday). Just keeping hope alive...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't necessarily think that the new iPad Air 2 will need an actual event. The iPhone event just happened, where the talking points were:

[*]Thinner
[*]A8
[*]iOS8
[*]More storage
[/list]
Likely the iPad Air 2 / Mini 2 will have the exact same talking points. Apple likes to keep their events for breakthrough announcements, and to have one for iPad Air 2 (assuming that those four points above are the only significant changes) would seem kind of anticlimactic given that everyone just heard those points like a month ago. Apple is no stranger to updating their products without an official event. I think the rumored iPad Pro (aka Max iPad) will likely command it's own event in 2015, since it's a new form factor and will likely have some unexpected new features we don't even know about yet.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Macrumors reporting it too. iPads, and iMac Retina (4k?), Yosemite. Now that's worthy of an event! (although it's supposed to be lower key than the iPhone event, which makes sense since iPhones generate more revenue than all of those combined)

I've been waiting for those iMacs for quite some time. If the price/specs are right, I'm in on launch week.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Really hoping the 12.9" ipad comes this fall. Im not sure touch id and an anti reflective screen is enough to convince me to buy a 10" one, and the htc nexus tablet specs look awful to be honest. Im not sure if any make for a smart investment right now. My ipad air screen is cracked and splitting quite aggressively these days. I could buy the 4k imac which im really attracted to, and move the mbp to the couch. But im not sure im ready for that form factor in the family room. I wish the answer was obvious but im not seeing it atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks