What's new

Updated HT pics.. wadaya think? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
There's a picture in my sig with a link to a page with some photos. It's our family room. One day this will all be gone and the HT room will be a combonation of the garage and this room (the wall with the 2 posters is between em, it's gotta come down :)).. but for now this is the best we can do. Yes, I know there's a wire going down the middle of my window, gotta get curtains :)
Anyway, maybe someone can help.. I'm having trouble with the rear speakers.. they're too high, as you can see right against the celing. Problem is, with that extrabig window, I can't make them lower.. I can't put the speaker back and on the side of the window, because the other side of the room has a doorway there, you might be able to see in the first pic.. stuff coming from the rear speakers always sounds "above" me, instead of surrounding me. I tried putting them on the shelves behind and facing front, but then they sound was always too low and I could barely hear anything. So, any thoughts on how I can fix that? The room is roughly 12x16x8 or so.. not much room to spread out :frowning:
Thoughts? :)

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
It looks to me that you'd benifit a great deal with a little rearranging. Is it possible to move the TV against a different wall? I looked at all of the pics, but it hard to get an idea of the shape of the room. If not.....what is on the wall opposit the TV? It seems that given the hight of the speakers now...you have a much better surround field if you put the rear speakers on that back wall.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
the top 4 photos go from left to right around the room starting with the left surround.. on the pic where you see my PC, those shelves next to it are along that whole back wall with a big closet door in the middle.. I tried having the rear speakers on those shelves, aimed forward, but I could barely hear anything from them. this is pretty much the best way I could lay out the room with all the junk I have to have in it. My PC desk is huge though, takes up 1/3 of the wall :frowning: it's just a difficult room to do a HT in :) which is why we're planning to tear out the garage and connect this room to that, but that's a while from now.. still saving :frowning:
If I turn the back speakers so they're pointed kind of down toward the sofa, would that be better? All of the pictures I've seen say they should be next to the sofa and aimed at each other

David Lloyd

Auditioning

Being that the window forces your rear channel placement up high...Turn your rear speakers upside down. That'll get the HF drivers at least another foot or so closer to the ground and possibly lessen some early reflections from the ceiling.
Though Dolby advises against it, you may try tilting the rear channel cabinets to "aim" on-axis high frequency content directly at your listening position [instead of several feet above it]. It may be that your particular rear channel speakers exhibit poor off-axis response, thereby "showing themselves" up high.
Good luck! Keep in mind...The tweaking will never end...

Users who are viewing this thread