What's new

UPDATE The Abyss and True Lies --4K Now Possibly In 2019 (See Post #69) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Maybe I am gullible but I believe the transfers have been ready for his sign-off.

The guy has been working on 3-4 films. I absolutely believe he has no time to sit and look over what Fox has prepared.

There is no doubt Fox is highly aware of the demand for both these films. It sounds very reasonable that they prepp'd a 4k transfer. However, to get a hold of Cameron to actually sit for the amount it takes to view the results is probably near impossible at this point.

At least Cameron is coming out and acknowledging that he is putting the effort forefront on his list of things to do.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron, these two films have never seen a HD release on physical media. The only thing out there are DVDs, and in the case of The Abyss a NON-ANAMORPHIC DVD. That's all we have, almost 20 years into the 21st century. This has gone on year after year after year. The bottom line, IMO, is that Cameron doesn't give two figs about either of these movies. If he did we'd at least have Blu-ray releases of them on the doorstep of the year 2019. He'd MAKE the time. At this point his rationalizations are a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Cameron must have it written into his contracts that he has final approval of all releases of these two films, otherwise Fox would have gone ahead and released them without his signoff.

Exactly!

Fox can't release these without his approval.

For the past few years, Cameron has been busy with a multitude of film projects.

I'll agree that he has better things to do with his time, but we will have to agree to disagree that he doesn't care about their releases. After all, these films are his children. Of COURSE, he wants them properly released. It just has to be on his time.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, okay. We are not all going to agree on this forum.

Yep, and that is perfectly fine. I'm just frustrated that we don't yet have these movies, loved by many, in a format that does them justice. Especially The Abyss. I'm hoping this will change in my lifetime. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Exactly!

Fox can't release these without his approval.

For the past few years, Cameron has been busy with a multitude of film projects.

I'll agree that he has better things to do with his time, but we will have to agree to disagree that he doesn't care about their releases. After all, these films are his children. Of COURSE, he wants them properly released. It just has to be on his time.
If he felt that way about these films, they would have been released on BD a long time ago.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am gullible but I believe the transfers have been ready for his sign-off.

The guy has been working on 3-4 films. I absolutely believe he has no time to sit and look over what Fox has prepared.

There is no doubt Fox is highly aware of the demand for both these films. It sounds very reasonable that they prepp'd a 4k transfer. However, to get a hold of Cameron to actually sit for the amount it takes to view the results is probably near impossible at this point.

At least Cameron is coming out and acknowledging that he is putting the effort forefront on his list of things to do.

Lots of filmmakers are busy. They can still find a few hours to watch a movie and say whether or not they think it looks good.

We're very close to the 20 year anniversary of the "Abyss" DVD. Blu-ray has existed for nearly 14 years. The guy couldn't block off 3 hours over 14 years???

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've been feeling inclined to boycott (avoid) any and all new Cameron films until such time as 'True Lies' and 'The Abyss' make it to home video with HD (preferably 4K) transfers. If only we could get EVERYONE to do that.

Mark

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I've been feeling inclined to boycott (avoid) any and all new Cameron films until such time as 'True Lies' and 'The Abyss' make it to home video with HD (preferably 4K) transfers. If only we could get EVERYONE to do that.

Mark

If everybody was boycotting his movies from now it would certainly free up a lot of his time in the future :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lots of filmmakers are busy. They can still find a few hours to watch a movie and say whether or not they think it looks good.

We're very close to the 20 year anniversary of the "Abyss" DVD. Blu-ray has existed for nearly 14 years. The guy couldn't block off 3 hours over 14 years???
I think it boils down to him focusing on whatever currently catches his fancy (whether it's making a ton of Avatar movies or checking out the bottom of the ocean or presumably spending time off with his family) and he doesn't give much priority to movies that he made decades ago. I love that he focuses on new projects but I wish that he didn't want it both ways where he has to OK the transfer AND also doesn't want to lose any time from his current work.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Mark

You know, I don't think Cameron would be phased in the least.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Mark

Cameron puts out a new movie every 300 years - this doesn't seem like much of a threat! :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Mark

Personally I’m not exactly breathlessly anticipating the Avatar sequels. First one was technically impressive for the time, but storywise, meh. Way too preachy and derivative.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has moved on from Avatar.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think it boils down to him focusing on whatever currently catches his fancy (whether it's making a ton of Avatar movies or checking out the bottom of the ocean or presumably spending time off with his family) and he doesn't give much priority to movies that he made decades ago. I love that he focuses on new projects but I wish that he didn't want it both ways where he has to OK the transfer AND also doesn't want to lose any time from his current work.

I feel if I was Cameron it would be worth it to find the time to do this just so I wouldn’t have to keep getting asked about it.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I get the feeling these will finally make it out on disc under Disney , in their expensive, almost never on sale way.

Not that Disney will make any great effort or anything, but the transfers are ready and they'll be the ones to benefit from that after the Fox deal is final.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks