What's new

UPDATE The Abyss and True Lies --4K Now Possibly In 2019 (See Post #69) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doesn't the DVD have some kind of flag that auto zooms on certain players/displays? Perhaps how they make the "anamorphic" claim

First I've heard of it. The DVD has never done this in my setup over the years, when I can actually force myself to watch it that is.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Interesting. My, we certainly have come a LONG way since the days of non-anamorphic DVD! Thanks for the link Will.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Doesn't the DVD have some kind of flag that auto zooms on certain players/displays? Perhaps how they make the "anamorphic" claim

I used to own a Panasonic DVD player (I think the model was RP-91) that would auto zoom and scale a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD on a 16x9 display if the disc was properly flagged. I removed the player from my system when the number of non-anamorphic titles in my collection dwindled -- I think the only one I have left is They Shoot Horses, Don't They.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Whatever happened to Brent Reid?
He's an excellent editor.:cool:

Well, I can't keep it away from this crew any longer.
I sat next to Jacqueline Bisset for over 2.5 hours, many years ago in a classroom.
Believe it or not, she was actually far more beautiful in real life than in the movies.:)
Her presence of that moment in time has since then ruined it for all other woman.
No substitutions; I'd rather be alone.:wub:

Oh, wait a minute...I've got the wrong film, here.
I always get The Abyss confused with The Deep;
not as films, but only within their aquatic titles.:D

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Yes, it does that on my display, along with some other Fox titles. The first DVD of Oklahoma! comes to mind.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it does that on my display, along with some other Fox titles. The first DVD of Oklahoma! comes to mind.

I remember years ago when I had a portable DVD player and it was at the time the only 16:9 display I owned and I played the original DVD of "The Thing" on it must have done the autozoom because my thought was "looks anamorphic to me, what's the fuss about" (I also think, though not 100% sure, the artwork on the disc incorrectly indicated "Anamorphic Widescreen")

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Whatever happened to Brent Reid?
He's an excellent editor.:cool:

Well, I can't keep it away from this crew any longer.
I sat next to Jacqueline Bisset for over 2.5 hours, many years ago in a classroom.
Believe it or not, she was actually far more beautiful in real life than in the movies.:)
Her presence of that moment in time has since then ruined it for all other woman.
No substitutions; I'd rather be alone.:wub:

Oh, wait a minute...I've got the wrong film, here.
I always get The Abyss confused with The Deep;
not as films, but only within their aquatic titles.:D
I'm surprised you can keep track of anything after sitting next to Jacqueline for one minute, but you did it for 2.5 hours. What kind of class entitles you to set next to her?

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm surprised you can keep track of anything after sitting next to Jacqueline for one minute, but you did it for 2.5 hours. What kind of class entitles you to set next to her?
Who ever said that I was able to keep track?
I've been lost ever since; which is reflected in some of my Posts that oftentimes requires an editor.:rolleyes:
You have one guess as to the kind of class it was. If you guess correctly, then I will honestly confirm.:)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Who ever said that I was able to keep track?
I've been lost ever since; which is reflected in some of my Posts that oftentimes requires an editor.:rolleyes:
You have one guess as to the kind of class it was. If you guess correctly, then I will honestly confirm.:)
Uh, sex education? I'm hoping...Second choice is acting.

Reactions: PMF

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think it's because the menu is.

Flags for the menus are separate from flags for the actual film. For example, one of the sets of Marx Brothers films I owned on DVD had the menus improperly flagged as widescreen non-anamorphic. My Panasonic RP-91 would auto zoom the menu so that I could not see all of it. Once the feature film started, though, everything was displayed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks