What's new

Update: Speakers facing updward, behind seating position (1 Viewer)

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone has ever had the issue of a) not being able to mount surround speakers on the wall or b) place them on stands next to their sitting positions (high traffic area issues for me -- and GF would not allow it), then there was always C) placing the speakers face up, behind the seating position. (http://www.dolby.com/graphics/ht/Hom...0110_fig12.jpg) as shown in this Dolby Recommended alternative.

Well, i wasn't sure how this setup was going to sound. Also seemed not alot of people had gone this route, but im glad to report that after I made some cheap stands, it works great!

Im using B&W 601 S3s as surrounds, with DM 602 S3s as L/R and LCR60 as a center. Theyre being driven by an HK AVR-225 and i use Sound King 12ga wire.

I havent had much break-in time (maybe ~9 hours), but last night I watched Air Force One (lots of surround use as jets fly in from all angles) and im proud to say the soundstage is just beautiful... I get a fully integrated and seamless feel. Today I will finish it off w/ proper callibration..

The stands cost about $10 to make (like I said, really basic...), and are out of high traffic areas, help hide the wires, and most importantly, SOUND GREAT, so if anyone was considering this route, DONT BE AFRAID TO TRY IT!

I have included a composite image... the hole in the stands was needed so a) they landed flush on the top (B&W binding posts arent in line w/ the plane of the back, so they pop out a bit) and b) i can run the speaker wire more easily.

http://www.d3f.org/misc/.ht/total.jpg

please note, i am but a modest college student.. so ignore the cheap Target Futon :P

David David

Auditioning
I bet you have more fun on that cheap Target futon than I do on my $2,000 bed. Enjoy being young, its over way too quick.

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
ouch :frowning:

way to send me into depressed mode, man.

I just upgraded by $99 futon with a $7.99 bed pad, touched underneath.. 2x the cushion!...

what's got you down, man? wife not letting you listen at good ol' reference levels? :frowning:

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
excellent suggestion :emoji_thumbsup: .

my rears seem to be very distracting at times. i have them slighlty behind the seating position facing each other. i was actually quite afraid of trying this setup you speak of, but maybe i'll give it a try tonight. i'll keep ya posted on how i like it :).

great thread btw :).

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
Joe Mihok: have you callibrated your surrounds properly? maybe theyre too loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks