What's new

Update on Walmart Exclusives for Variety of Shout Titles (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm waiting for my S3 set from Amazon...For me, watching Daniel Boone certainly provides a warm and nostalgic feeling...always liked Fess Parker and Ed Ames as a team...Patricia Blair too...and there's another lovable sidekick in Albert Salmi (enjoy him in the recent VEI release of Petrocelli too)...I find that simple, but catchy, theme song looping through my brain also, till I shake it out...almost catch myself singing it out loud in public on occasion...ready the net for the crazy old man, ha, ha...
Once Fess Parker hit his stride with Davy Crockett, he gave quality performances for the rest of his career . Enjoyed him in Hell Is For Heroes , Hangman , Great Locomotive Chase , The Jayhawkers, (etc.) And Daniel Boone. I'd love to see his other TV series Mr. Smith Goes To Washington - maybe Timeless will release it .

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I'm waiting for my S3 set from Amazon...For me, watching Daniel Boone certainly provides a warm and nostalgic feeling...always liked Fess Parker and Ed Ames as a team...Patricia Blair too...and there's another lovable sidekick in Albert Salmi (enjoy him in the recent VEI release of Petrocelli too)...I find that simple, but catchy, theme song looping through my brain also, till I shake it out...almost catch myself singing it out loud in public on occasion...ready the net for the crazy old man, ha, ha...

Randall:

Your posting perfectly nails the essence of what makes Daniel Boone such an endearing series; there is hardly a bad episode in the batch and it always brings a smile to my face when I hear the first notes of the theme song.

I hope you your Season 3 set arrives soon.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Lou, I've never seen the TV 1962 version of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington...looks like it was a funny show, with Jim Nabors, Harpo Marx and Buster Keaton guest starring!...like yourself, I'd love to see the whole single season released by TMG / Shout or other label...everyone loves the Great Jimmy Stewart movie...I was never able to locate even a single 16 mm episode of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington circulating in film collectors circles, so it's very rare...Hell is for Heroes is another treasure for me...Fess Parker is memorably great in that movie...what a cast, Steve McQueen, Bobby Darin, James Coburn, Harry Guardino, Nick Adams, Bob Newhart...and part of the Combat! TV series heritage as written by Robert Pirosh...

I agree, I really like just about everything Fess Parker ever did...including his wines from his well regarded California winery...he's also in one of my absolute favorite Alfred Hitchcock Hour episodes...the 1963 second season episode "Nothing Ever Happens in Linvale"...with Phyllis Thaxter and Gary Merrill...another gem...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Randall:

Your posting perfectly nails the essence of what makes Daniel Boone such an endearing series; there is hardly a bad episode in the batch and it always brings a smile to my face when I hear the first notes of the theme song.

I hope you your Season 3 set arrives soon.

Good to hear, Sean! Daniel Boone is one of those shows that I remember watching as a family...perhaps yourself as well? Great warm and nostalgic memories...same thing with The Monroes, another Fox produced western from the mid '60s...The Monroes was another Great show that I'm currently rediscovering courtesy of the recent Shout release...good scripts, great action, absolutely believable "Family" casting...Ron Soble finally given a chance to play a Good guy, he's much like Ed Ames' "Mingo" on Daniel Boone... Ben Johnson, Liam Sullivan, James Brolin and Robert Middleton as recurring characters...and incredible Wyoming Grand Teton scenery...Mount Moran, the Cathedral Group of Teton mountains, Snake River...reminds you of the famous Ansel Adams photos of Grand Teton...as others have previously reported, the source prints are disappointing...a little beat up, colors a little faded and shifted,but complete and watchable just the same...about the same as My Friend Flicka in terms of film sources...I recommend it highly, though the visual quality isn't as good, by a long shot, compared to Daniel Boone, or even Custer for that matter...in my opinion, of these Fox westerns, The Loner is the best looking by far...glad to have them all, and look forward to The Westerner, which I expect will look great...

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've gotten the Daniel Boone theme song in my head on a somewhat regular basis ever since the show originally aired. So many of us young boys watched the show that we'd sing the theme song on the playground. Over the decades, out of nowhere, that theme would pop into my head and I'd find myself singing it for several days. :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I've gotten the Daniel Boone theme song in my head on a somewhat regular basis ever since the show originally aired. So many of us young boys watched the show that we'd sing the theme song on the playground. Over the decades, out of nowhere, that theme would pop into my head and I'd find myself singing it for several days. :)
Fess Parker actually cut his own version of the Daniel Boone theme for an RCA Victor LP album back in 1964. The album which includes a 1964 recut of Davy Crockett and other songs of historical interest is available on CD on the German Bear Family label and should be available from Amazon.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I would like to see a release of Lancer by Shout!, maybe later this year about the Lancer clan. Not much different from Bonanza or The Big Valley, but a memorable theme tune by Jerome Moross that'll stick in your head for quite sometime!

mark-edk

Second Unit
The Fess Parker RCA album mentioned above is one of a bunch of RCA LPs from the 60s that has been issued as a download (available on iTunes, amazon, and probably Spotify and the usual sources). Good quality, digitized from the original master tapes. Here's the iTunes link.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I would like to see a release of Lancer by Shout!, maybe later this year about the Lancer clan. Not much different from Bonanza or The Big Valley, but a memorable theme tune by Jerome Moross that'll stick in your head for quite sometime!
Lancer is a show I've never seen, but if Shout /Timeless put it out , I'd give it a shot .

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, thanks for the info, Sean! I'll be glad to have Season 4 follow on so fast, as I just got S3 recently...Daniel Boone season 3 looks beautiful, vibrant colors much in evidence...I'm thrilled to have it...I just wish that the other 1966-67 Fox Western, The Monroes looked this good...that was a Great show too...

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How many western Walmart Exclusives are there? Here is what I know:
  • Custer
  • Daniel Boone Season's 1-4 (and hopefully 5 & 6)
  • Death Valley Days Season 1 & 2
  • The Loner
  • The Monroes
  • My Friend Flicka
  • The Westerner
Am I missing any?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks