Update on Refurbished Marantz 8200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattCPT, Aug 28, 2002.

1. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I had posted a while back that my refurbished 8200 arrived from Accessories 4 Less D.O.A. I was getting cross talk between the Cd, Tv, and Vcr. I tried reseting the unit without success and then finally sent it for repair. I was tempted to give it back and start over again, but I spent so much time on my decision that I knew if I could get an operating 8200 I would be happy. I recently received my 8200 from the service center, and sure enough they found that my input board wasn't fully connected and they replaced the board. I have had a chance to listen to Cds, SACDs and DVDs the last few days, and I must say that I'm very impressed. The sound of this receiver is far more musical than my last Yamaha. Granted the Marantz is more powerful and Dolby Digital capable, but the sound is significantly better. I don't hear any strain in my speakers even at loud levels. I just wanted to post this to let people know that Accessories 4 Less did take care of me, and that the Marantz is an excellent receiver. I listened to just about everything out there, and I A/B tested them whenever possible (Yamaha, Sony ES, Denon, H&K, Pioneer, Onkyo, Rotel and of course Marantz). I was most impressed with the Marantz and Rotel. I also purchased the Sony 900V DVD/SACD player (list $1,000) for $550 through onecall.com. I'm in love with the sound of SACD, my system has never sounded so good. In fact I can honestly say that I have heard very few systems that impress me more than my own. I know there are better systems out there, but I'm very happy with mine and that's what this is all about[​IMG] .
    Thanks to everyone that helped me reach my decisions.
    My System:
    Marantz 8200 (receiver)
    Sony 900V DVD/SACD
    Definitive Tech. BP-30 (mains)
    Definitive Tech CLR 2002 (center)
    Solid Monitor (made by B&W, for rears)
    Audioquest Copperhead Interconnects
    Mapleshade Double Helix Speaker wire
    Panasonic 27 inch Superflat
    Panasonic VCR

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Thanks for the update.[​IMG]

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Give the RC-3200 remote that came with the 8200 time to grow on you, mine did. I initially preferred my MX-500, but after playing around here and there with the RC-3200 over the months, I found the programming flexibility to be FAR superior. Two months ago I would have said I would *never* give up my MX-500. Well, I sold it last week! It is much easier to reprogram macros with the PC interface of the RC-3200 than it is using buttons on a remote! If you swap components with any regularity you will see what I mean! I really have the 3200 setup to my liking now.

Pete

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Hey that's great Matt.....boy, doesn't it make you wonder just how they let a unit out like that that is supposedly meant to be refurbished? Did you have to incur any additional monetary costs and how're things coming along with the speakers and the room?

5. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

Chu,
    I was very disappointed when the 8200 arrived and didn't work properly. I can't say that they didn't check it properly because the solder connection of the input board could have broken during shipment to my house. If that was the case then the unit could have been working to specifications when it left Accessories 4 Less. I certainly hope that was the case. Mark from AC4Less offered to pick-up the receiver the next day from my house free of charge, but like most people I work and couldn't leave the box on my front door until UPS showed up! I decided to ship it myself at a drop off center and I sent the invoice to Mark. He stated that he would reimburse me. I only sent the invoice out this week so they haven't reimbursed me yet, I'll let you know if there is a problem. The room sounds wonderful, not at all "bright" or "annoying" like it used to. I attribute this to the acoustic panels from Echobusters.com (Thanks again for the suggestion). With the addition of the Marantz and Sony 900V DVD/SACD player my listening experience is now pure bliss! [​IMG] I couldn't be happier. I now spend almost all my time finding new SACDs and music DVDs instead of looking for ways to improve my sound. I can't tell you how happy that I am. I will soon post about my findings when comparing the Radio Shack, Monster and Mapleshade speaker wires in the tweak section. I must say that I was surprised a little with the results.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well find someone to do the switching for you without you knowing and get back with the findings...not the wife, she's likely to upgrade you!