update on Criterion DVD of Solaris

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 22, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://pub18.ezboard.com/fcriteriond...icID=207.topic
    July 19
    We just received some news from Criterion that we thought our readers might find interesting. The upcoming Criterion Collection Solaris DVD will contain some rather intriguing extras (in addition to the interviews already mentioned in our June 25 newsflash): namely, some of the deleted scenes from an early cut of the movie. There is an opening text, a sequence in the mirror room, as well as a couple of extra conversations. The scene in the mirror room is said to be particularly visually stunning.
    There is a lot more
    great news [​IMG]

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Having been intrigued by this when Image had the rights way back when, I look forward to seeing this film for the first time.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This is supposed to come out at the end of this year is it not? It'd be neat to watch the DVD and then see Soderbergh's remake afterwards. That'd make for a heady evening! Anyway, I can't wait to see Solaris again and those extras sound pretty cool.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Even though Ruscico's "SOLARIS" disc is fantastic - it's the best DVD edition I've seen from them - it appears that Criterion will easily best it. I can't wait for this one! [​IMG]

5. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Considering that he only made seven features, my Tarkovsky shelf is getting awfully full. He's probably the only director whose films I'm willing to keep rebuying. Of course, my main wish right now is to have just one DVD version of Ivan's Childhood.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    yea but isn't this discusion about the movies named solaris.
    since soderbergh's version is the same name and is the same story idea isn't it then a remake of the earlier film.

8. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

"Or A&E's production of The Magnificent Ambersons a Welles remake?"
    Since they used Welles' original shooting script rather than going back to the Tarkington novel, Yes, it is a Welles remake.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Once a work is generally considered definitive in its medium, as Tarkovsky's Solaris, another work in the same medium will always be considered a remake. Soderbergh's Solaris is being made in the context of a world where Tarkovsky's film is an acknowledged classic.
    Along these lines, any new adaptation of "The Maltese Falcon" would be considered by most to be a remake of the John Huston film even though an earlier adaptation starring Bette Davis called "Satan Met a Lady" preceded it and they would all be based on the same novel.
    The point of comparison for any new version of "The Wizard of Oz" would be the Judy Garland film regardless of Baum's novel and whatever adaptation preceded it.
    A&E's "Magnificent Amberson's" was not a good example to cite since it was promoted as being based on Welles' complete shooting script (although liberties were certainly taken [​IMG] ).
    As long as it is not called a "re-imagining", I don't care what they call it. I have no pejorative associations with the term "remake" despite the best efforts of Gus Van Sant and John McTiernan to create them. [​IMG]
    Regards,

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Haven't seen it so I eagerly await the disc. I would also like to own a version of Stalker not haunted by poltergeists.

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I have some more info from www.dvdjournal.com
    Just a quick comment for the gentleman asking about Solaris at Criterion. I attended a Film Studies conference in Toronto at the end of May and I ran into Graham Petrie, a professor of Drama and English at McMaster University. Petrie had just flown in from New York where he had finished recording his feature-length audio commentary for the Criterion edition of Solaris. No mention of a release date or any other supplemental material, but rest assured that Criterion's Solaris will sport a unique audio commentary that is unlikely to be found on other editions.
    If you're wondering about the credentials of a professor of Drama and English with regard to film, set your mind at ease. Petrie has been working in cinema studies for a long time now, having written several books related to the subject, most notably a book on Truffaut, a book on Hungarian cinema, and another on the European emigre directors in Hollywood during the 1920s. His main credential for the Solaris project stems from the book on Tarkovsky that he co-authored, The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue, published in 1994.
    Hope this whets your anticipation for the Criterion DVD....
    — Nick Nguyen
    Conservator, Film Preservation Unit
    National Archives of Canada
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    getting better all the time[​IMG]

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Even though I've already got a fantastic "Solaris" DVD, this is still my most anticipated upcoming release! [​IMG]

15. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Man, I'm psyched for the Petrie commentary. His Tarkovsky book is a wonderful read.

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Damn, another one to replace! I love my Russico disc of Solaris and didn't think anyone would ever top it, but I have a feeling the new Criterion will certainly do that!
    Jeff

17. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Has there been any news on when we can expect the DVD?