What's new

Update on Crest Situation & Mfg Changes (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In case anyone missed it, here is some more detail on the Crest cracking problem from Brian Moura. It appears they are addressing the problem...

During the update, I was told that the original series of changes discussed at that time have now been fully phased in at Crest. Crest also has developed some test equipment to evaluate and analyze the quality and strength of optical discs (CDs, SACDs, DVDs) that are made at the Crest plant and elsewhere. In addition, they are now working to phase in a couple more changes to further improve the hybrid SACD discs that are made at Crest. In recent months, the number of Crest pressed SACDs displaying the cracking appears to be on the decline. It will be interesting to see if the additional changes now being phased in put the issue to rest in the future.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Any word as to reimbursing those people who were unlucky enough to buy one their discs manufactured prior to their "original series of changes" and which cracked after the 30 days most retailers allow for exchanges?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
No. Perhaps I should have but didn't after reading of the lack of any response to those who did. I was just wondering if this information were part of the details mentioned in the "update."

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Wow - I didn't realize that Crest had a problem.

I thought that was all blown out of proportion internet chatter.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Exchange to what? How do I know the current inventory is good?The cracks weren't there when I first opened it,so by opening one in the store won't tell me crap.
Crest should handle this like major movie studios do with their defective DVDs.Set up a return address for consumers to ship their SACD,and send them a replacement.I guess it's too much to ask.:thumbsdown:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
In case anyone missed it, here is some more detail on the Crest cracking problem from Brian Moura. It appears they are addressing the problem...
I am having Deja Vu here. Wasn't it Moura who reported that the same thing six months ago. They are now still working in changes to fix the problem. I find it funny how the cracking discs are on the decline in recent months...wasn't the problem already supposed to be fixed? This sounds like more yes man BS.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Crest should handle this like major movie studios do with their defective DVDs.Set up a return address for consumers to ship their SACD,and send them a replacement.I guess it's too much to ask.
As an owner of a cracked DSOTM (which still plays, but the cracks seem to be multiplying a bit), I do feel that someone needs to step up to the plate and offer consumers a replacement, but I have to ask this question.

Why is this a Crest problem, and not a Capital problem?

Crest is a subcontractor. I didn't buy anything from them. I bought something from Capital Records. Why is there no effort to jump down THEIR throats on this? Or has there been, and I just missed it?

If I hire a general contractor to build a house, and an electrical sub buggers something, the general is who I go after, not the sub.

When Disney's Tarzan DVD was found to have a screw up with the Surround channels, Disney replaced the disc, not the authoring house.

I am missing why this is different.

BTW, has it been concluded with any certainty that the DSOTM discs that say "Made in USA, except the disc which is made in Japan" (or words to that affect), are in fact NOT Crest products and thus free from self-destruction?

BGL

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
A couple points Brian.

Crest is already well-known on the DVD-V side for pressing faulty dual layer discs which stopped playing. In those cases Crest themselves replaced the discs. Precedent already set in faulty manufacturing and replacement procedures.

Well, crest presses discs for a number of SACD distributers which have been riddled by cracking. You can find cracked discs from Universal (and their associated labels), EMI (and their associated labels one of which is Capitol), as well as a few other smaller labels out there. For a consumer, it makes it easier to send the discs back to the source instead of each subsidary which put out SACD discs within these massive music conglomerates.

I do agree that Capitol, Universal, and the other labels should have taken a better stand with their product, but in reality the problems rest squarely on Crest's shoulders.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Great point Brian. The labels should really be supporting their own products when defective and offering at least some memo to the retailers explaining how an exchange would work. Either Crest proves they have fixed the problem or the labels should use other sources of manufacture.

I read most of the audio sites everyday over lunch or in the morning and there definitely seems to be less discussion on reported cracked discs lately. Brian Moura says in his comments that manufacturing changes have been made and are being made, so I suspect that the worst of the pressings are behind us.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
In recent months, the number of Crest pressed SACDs displaying the cracking appears to be on the decline.
WHY ARE THEY STILL SHIPPING DISCS THAT MIGHT CRACK???

This is so bogus.

I returned my *broken* DSOTM to Capitol Records and followed up twice more with letters and got nothing in return. I called the David Palmer dude at Crest whose number somebody posted. In both cases, I didn't rag on them too bad, and said that I just wanted to know when the problem was going to be fixed. Nothing. Nada, zilch, zip, zero.

I want a date by which I can be guarenteed to buy a hybrid and not have it crack in my possession. Is that really too much to ask? :)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps less people are complaining about cracked Crest hybrids because like me they have stopped purchasing them. After returning my cracked SACDs to BB the only hybrid I purchased was DSOTM (made in Japan). I would love to replace my Nora Jones SACD but I'm not aware of one that won't crack. I don't want one that PROBABLY won't crack or one made from Crest batch that is showing a DECLINE in cracks. As a consumer I expect to buy a product without a manufacturer's defect and if there is a defect then I should receive my money back, not an exchange for another faulty disc or for another product that I don't want (as Best Buy has been doing). I have lost much of my enthusiasm for SACD since the issue of cracked discs. I really wish that I waited to purchase a universal DVD/
DVD-A/SACD player. If I did I would be much happier than I am now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks