'Upconverts to near HD quality...'

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
A few years ago i saw the ads for upconvert DVD players and didn't know if it was true, BUT I had an HDTV and my old DVD player was dying so i got one.
Honestly I never could say for sure if there was much of an improvement. Granted I never put the two DVD players side-by-side with the same movie & two same model monitors with the same settings

So now as I am about to get an HD-DVD player I once again read 'upconverts regular dvds to near HD quality'

Is it true, was it true before? I'd really love to believe that my favorite movies from Fox/Sony/Columbiua etc will look even better on a HD-DVD player.

thanks again.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The HD-A1 makes them look pretty nice; I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with a regular DVD player, but it certainly looks better than the regular DVD player hooked to a smaller TV did.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I compared a few (two) titles and the improvement is significant. Even at 480i the image is better already, on a HD-A1, apparently because the gain in horizontal resolution is something that can be seen.

Members who had upgrading players before they purchased the HD-(X)A1, said this machine was certainly one of the best and praised the image they got. Go read some of the threads in this area.

It's certainly no marketing bullsh$t and a true and very visible improvement of your image. But don't expect SDVDs to become true HDVDs. That's simply not feasible!

Also note, that the 1080 vertical lines images will not be output over component (including S-Video) if the SDVD has some form of copy-protection (which is most of them: MacroVision). You'll need to use the HDMI then to get the full 1080i. And for SDVD it's a region bound machine (HD DVD doesn't have region coding yet).

But indeed one big advantage of the Toshiba's is the fact that generally you can retire your old DVD-player.

Cees

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks for that. I am glad that is the case and I intend to use the HDMI input for the connection.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
My A1 has probably gotten more use upconverting SD discs than HD DVDs. Some movies, like Finding Nemo, are fantastic upconverted.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
The audio output of the HDA1 is also superior to any DVD player I've ever owned (including mid-highend Panny and Sony models)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I was very impressed with the HD add for the 360. I had heard that old dvds look terrible on HD.. its been a reverse for me.. they look even better on the HD player.

JACOB

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I was wondering the same thing, but, one thing my current dvd player has
is SACD ability, and I don't see that available on the newer lots of dvd players?

Guess I'm spoiled with the Sony 5 disc, image quality looks good, but you know
you always wonder if it could be just a little bit better

G2

Thomas W

Agent
I read in another thread that the Toshiba XA2 uses a Silicon Optix Reon chip to upconvert SD-DVDs. Does the A2 model use the same chip?

My 1080i TV doesn't have HDMI or DVI inputs, just component. Will I get any upconversion through the component connection on either the A2 or the XA2?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I've never been a fan of upconversion as it makes the image look somewhat pasty reducing detail. BTW I own a Zenith 318 and the Toshiba A1

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I understand that, but if you own a 720 or 1080 vertical lines TV set, and you want to view your movies on that, you don't have a choice (except watching to a very small image). The SDVD image *has* to get upconverted to the native resolution of the display, or else you'll get a sub-par image anyway.

So the question is: where do you want your upscaling to take place: inside your player, inside a separate video processor, or inside your HD TV set?

Unless you purchase a separate video processor (like the VDDO VP50), I'd recommend the Toshibas. Not the TV set.

Cees

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Several people extol the virtues of upconversion; one says they don't like it in their opinion and you immediately poo-poo upconversion as a waste. That's unfortunate, because the HD-A2 does an even better job than my Denon 1910, which was amazing.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I use a Pioneer Elite DV59avi for SD playback . It upconverts to 1080i through HDMI and looks pretty darn good on the Sony SXRD2 60" RPTV.

We have the Xbox 360 add on and HDs of course look fine. I have yet to try SD DVDs in it and compare it to the Pioneer. I suppose I could. Heck, my home theater guru suggested outputting 480i or p from the Pioneer and seeing just how the Sony TV would upconvert the signal since it has pretty decent upconversion software in it.

I have yet to do that either.

I do not think I need an outboard upconverter with all the power in these machines.

I'm thinking of keeping the Pioneer forever too, as it plays SACD, and DVD -A real well as well as its great output from SDDVD sources. It is a great box.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit

Well I guess I needed to hear the other side as well, the dvd play I have
is an older model and with a new HDTV it has me thinking of a new player
too, so I'll not immediately poo-poo the upconversion but need to see before
I buy. The closest thing near me is a Best Buy that just opened up, will
have to check that and see what they can show me, an A-B comparison
would be great.

Thanks JustinCleveland,
G2

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

Generally, no. The DVD spec prohibits upconversion over analog connections such as component. However, some smaller studios (Anchor Bay and Dark Sky among the most prominent) don't usually enforce this, and their discs (again, usually) will upconvert without a problem over component.

Discs that are restricted can still be upconverted if you make a "backup copy" that strips off the restriction, but that's technically a violation of the DCMA.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
There is a thread on avs about DVD players that do upconversion over Component. There aren't many.

Does the A1 allow it for SD DVDs? I'm thinking yes, but don't really recall.

Honestly, there is very little difference between your digital set doing the upconversion and the player, especially at the low end of DVD players.

I'd just stick with a 480i over component if you already have one.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

One could also argue that since everybody else seem to like upconversion so should I. However, thats not the case for me and it might be likewise for Gary W. Graley.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have both the HD add for the 360 and the oppo 971. I have to say that the HD add on does a better job then the oppo 971.

Jacob

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike