Upconverting player worth it with 30" widescreen tv?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Allen Longcor, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Title says it all.

2. John S

John S Producer

Can you tell a marked improvement from svideo connection of your DVD Player to a component connection from your DVD player on the display? If so, maybe, if not, defiently not worth it.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd say no. On my 32" HD set i can't see much if any difference in progressive vs. interlaced over component, so going up to 1080i or 720p (which the tv will probably convert to 1080i or 540p anyway) probably won't make much of a difference.

4. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

depends on the tv. sonys generally give a good picture on a CRT.

I own a 36XBR800 and I owned a few upconverting players that didnt really look any different but I just got the Sony 975 and in 1080i is noticeably better, really better. but its a quality player too.

other than its problems its a great player. has some firmware and loader issues. make sure to get one with a 1.90 firmware and your likely to not have any problems. I got mine fixed and its been fine. its def a nice player!!!

5. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I want a good new DVD player for my TV, but didn't know if at only 30" of real estate I should even bother with an upconverting player. The bottom line is I want good quality and I didn't know if a good 480p or 1080i upconverting player would give me that quality. Anyone else using a 1080i player with a smaller television set?

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

30" is big enough to notice a difference. but a really good 480p machine will look as good (almost as a really good upconverting player.

you start going lower than 30" your not gonna see any difference, really.

my sis in law has a 30" WS and she had a 480p machine and I got her the samsung 841 and it was def a difference. its not just the upconverting you have to take into account its how the picture is processed and what onboard is processing it.

you best bet is to try one, if you dont like it return it. that simple.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Depending on the player, i'd say the jump from regular to upconverted video is much bigger than the Progressive/Interlaced difference. Even on larger displays there is little difference in going between progressive scan and interlacing

8. John S

John S Producer

NickSo...

You must be refering to dsiplays that line double all sources.

You can't go much at all above the 46" mark with true 480i, there are large gaps in the scan lines. Looks horrid.

480p is good up into the 100"+ sizes even.

9. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

I use the LG upconverting DVD player on my 30" Toshiba and I am quite happy with it. I would rather use the variable zoom on the DVD player for non-anamorphic DVD's than use the TV's Theaterwide 2 setting.