upconverting DVD vs upconverting Receiver

Greg Szczyrbak

Auditioning
Please help me understand. I currently have neither a upconverting DVD nor a A/V receiver of any kind. So I am planning to buy a A/V receiver to add great sound now that I can finally enjoy movies on my 42" plasma (previous was 19" CRT).

If I buy an upconverting receiver, can I forgo the upconverting DVD and just use the receiver to do the upconverting? I have no problem buying a Oppo and a HDMI pass-through receiver, but I'm just wondering if I can just stick with my current DVD player and let the receiver do the upconverting. (Plus it would upconvert my sat signal as well?).

Do I have it all wrong, or only partially wrong, or maybe even a little bit right? Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My only thought would be that the player will most likely do a better job than a receiver, so I'd vote for an upconverting player.

Greg Szczyrbak

Auditioning
How about this Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-82TXS)? Its got a Faroudja DCDi HD video scaler. Wouldn't it do essentially the same thing s as the scaler in an OPPO? Granted for much more money, but if I need a receiver anyway?

- Greg

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Assuming that the receiver has the same level, it makes sense to do it in the receiver. That way not only DVDs will be upconverted, but so will VHS, older game systems, etc. I haven't looked at pricing on the Pioneer receiver you mentioned, but you may want to look at going with a dedicated scaler (like the DVDO VP20) and a cheaper receiver. I wouldn't spend a lot of $ on a receiver right now because Dolby HD and DTS HD and HDMI 1.3 are all coming next year.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what upconverting features the A/V receiver has and how good they are.

Receivers with upconverting may come with the following but not necessarily all of them:

Upconvert composite to S-video and cross feed it to the S-video output,
Upconvert S-video to 480i component video and cross feed it to the component video output
De-interlace 480i (component video which source may have been cross fed from the other inputs) to 480p before it gets all the way to the output jacks. In addition there may be required switch settings or menu selections to match (usually 480i versus 480p) one device's output and another device's input.

DVD players with upconverting usually come with the following:

De-interlace 480i to 480p.
Upconvert 480p to 1080i and/or 720p.

DVD is fundamentally component video. It does not make sense to have the DVD player downconvert to composite and send that out the yellow jack for the receiver to upconvert. ALl that does is put more electronics and potentially (actually definitely in this case) quality loss into the video signal path.

An HDTV also contains this:

Upconvert composite video to S-video
Upconvert S-video to component video
De-interlace 480i component video to 480p
Upconvert 480p to match the screen resolution which may be 720p or 768p or 1080i or 1080p.

TV's usually upconvert composite video to S-video better than receivers do.
Cable and satellite boxes usually upconvert composite video (from any analog channels) worse than anything else does.
Who upconverts 480i to 480p better is anyone's guess.
If you connect things up so one device does a particular kind of upconverting (e.g. S-video to component) then the same kind of upconverting should be skipped on all other devices. Usually this happens automatically but sometimes different input jacks are provided for 480i component video versus 480p component video.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23