What's new

Upconverting DVD players (1 Viewer)

Corey Mc

Auditioning
i am looking at these new upconverting dvd players with built in scalers. the idea is to upscale dvd video to near HD for HDTv's. my question is this, these units have DVI outputs running from them. is the scaler only going to have an effect on the video if you are sending it via the DVI ? or, will it also have an effect on video sent from the composite outputs ? i am in the process of adding a projector to my setup. i am not running a home theater pc nor do i have any intention of doing that so i am looking to do the scaling through the dvd player. i just want to make sure that i will see the scaler at work from the composite output. thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

That's a negative.

Some upscale over *component* (not composite as in the original post, I assume that's a typo). Most will upscale vid DVI/HDMI, you'll have to check the specs of the player(s) in question. I am not aware of any requiring HDCP, that would be pretty thoroughly pointless.

Second thing, is I assume you have an HDTV? Most nowadays have onboard video scaling, so the benefits of getting an upscaling player may or may not be worth it, depending on the quality of the scaling in the TV.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Hey, point me in the direction of a dvd player with a plaintext dvi output, and i'd be very interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks