Upconverting DVD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Corey Mc, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Corey Mc

Corey Mc Auditioning

i am looking at these new upconverting dvd players with built in scalers. the idea is to upscale dvd video to near HD for HDTv's. my question is this, these units have DVI outputs running from them. is the scaler only going to have an effect on the video if you are sending it via the DVI ? or, will it also have an effect on video sent from the composite outputs ? i am in the process of adding a projector to my setup. i am not running a home theater pc nor do i have any intention of doing that so i am looking to do the scaling through the dvd player. i just want to make sure that i will see the scaler at work from the composite output. thanks

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

IIRC, it's DVI/HDMI only. and HDCP-DVI, at that

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That's a negative.

Some upscale over *component* (not composite as in the original post, I assume that's a typo). Most will upscale vid DVI/HDMI, you'll have to check the specs of the player(s) in question. I am not aware of any requiring HDCP, that would be pretty thoroughly pointless.

Second thing, is I assume you have an HDTV? Most nowadays have onboard video scaling, so the benefits of getting an upscaling player may or may not be worth it, depending on the quality of the scaling in the TV.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Hey, point me in the direction of a dvd player with a plaintext dvi output, and i'd be very interested.