What's new

Upconverting DVD players worthwhile? (1 Viewer)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I think an upconverting player provides a very subtle improvement with my 720p LCD front projector. It is not a unanimous opinion so you could certainly disagree after you see one. I have never used a PC for DVD playback because it always seems so kludgy to even think about it.

I use a Zenith DVB318 and NeuNeo HVD2081 but would recommend you look at the Panasonic DVD-S97 or S77 and Oppo DV971H if you are interested in a budget priced DVD player. I would never consider a high priced player so I don't have a recommendation if you are interested in spending more than $300.

Chris

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think that biggest benefit of an upconverting player isn't that it improves the actual quality if its video output, but that it allows you to match the output resolution to your display device. If the native scan rate of your display is 1080i and you feed it a 1080i video input, you're avoiding additionl conversion in the display device and also bypassing its scaler. This is most important with fixed-pixel displays using DLP and LCD etc., but it can benefit CRT devices as well. How much that benefit will be is highly variable.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

You have to ask: what is doing the superior processing?

On the older Toshibas XXH81 and XXH82 crt RPTVs, an upconverting Component DVD player will bypass the Toshibas inferior processing and result in a much better image.

Generally speaking I do not recommend an up converting player for crt RPTVs that natively display 480p (Mits, Pioneer, Sony). Also generally speaking I do not recommend DVI connections for crt displays.

Regards

Gregg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
you should explore teatertek for your PC, run that in VMR9 renderless mode and it will be superior to all but the most expensive upscaling players, and a great deal more flexible in resolution output. This depends on the capabilities of the PC, however, I'm assuming you have a good PC.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I slightly prefer the DVI connection with my Sony XBR910. The difference certainly isn't great and the biggest benefit is having another HD connection in addition to the two component connections.

Chris

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies... The price on the Oppo player is tempting... I'm going to take a look at the Theatertek stuff right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks