What's new

Upconvert DVD Recorders; info needed. (1 Viewer)

arjayvee

Auditioning
Real Name
Randall Vest
I have just purchased a 40" Sony Bravia W3000 LCD Digital Color TV and have hooked up a one-and-a-half-year-old Panasonic DVD Recorder/VHS combo to it via a component cable. The DVD playback picture results are less than stellar (I do have a Hi-Def cable box). I'm not ready to buy a Blu-Ray player yet, but if I invest in a new DVD recorder that upconverts via an HDMI cable output and digital tuner, do you think the results will be noticeably better --- i.e. a new upconverting model with HDMI hookup vs. an older non-upconverting model with component hookup? That might seem like a no-brainer but I'm in brand-new territory here and I'd heard that picture playback results between HDMI vs. component cable are negligible.

If you do suggest a new machine with HDMI output/digital tuner, any particular models you'd recommend?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer. Much appreciated.

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
My personal experience is limited to players that upconvert to 1080i only. There is a noticeable improvement using my low-level Toshiba HD-DVD player to play DVD's. My equipment requires that I use an HDMI to DVI cable for this connection.

I felt that my Zenith upconverting DVD player offered a similar upgrade. Many folks here on HTF have spoken well of their Oppo players but I have not used one myself.

Welcome to HTF. Good luck with your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks