What's new

Upconversion Question (1 Viewer)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this should be in recievers or here...

If I am using a dvd player that upconverts via component and then route it to a reciever that upconverts also.. How would I set it up?

Right now I have it upconvert to 720p and the reciever upconverts to 1080i.. will this cause issues? has anyone else done this?

Should I do anything or just forge on and hook up multi Dvd players to my receiver and out to the projector?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The fewer separate and different upconversions the better. Each conversion performs some blending of adjacent scan lines and adjacent pixels in at least a few places and therefore there is some loss of quality.

In the case of a DVD player, it is better not to convert to 720p if the ultimate result is going to be 1080i.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Upconverting on DVD players and upconverting on receivers is 2 seperate things.

The DVD player is actually scaling the image to 720p or 1080i.

Upconverting in a receiver is actually transcoding. It is taking a composite of S-video signal and sending it out the component jacks. Nothing else happens to it. It will still be 480i.

So if you hook up the component output from your DVD player to the receiver, it will pass it through unaltered (assuming it has high enough bandwidth to pass 1080i).

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
thanks, I was not sure if it would alter the signal.

Was DVB318 (720 Component Out) --->4805

Going to Be:
DV-S353 (480P component out)->DTR 5.5 Component Out to->4805
DVB318(720P Component out)---> ^ ^ ^
Intgra says it outputs signals @ 480P and 1080i

Guess I should just hook it up....and see how it looks at different setings...

DOH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks