Upconversion on recievers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BillFank, Jul 4, 2003.

1. BillFank

BillFank Auditioning

I have been hearing about upconversion on some of the recievers I have looked at. Is this something worth pursuing? I will be watching VCR,Cable tv, and DVD sources. HDTV is coming soon. I was also planning on not running some of the video sources such as DVD due to concerns about signal degredation through the reciever. Am I right about the degredation or is it not worth the extra remote switching issues involved.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The upconversion is recommended for digital sources, so it doesn't have to go through an extra conversion process. I have a 45TX which has the capability, and a DVD player also, but I didn't find it of much, if any, benefit on either unit(although admittedly I didn't experiment with them extensively).

I imagine there are some higher end pre-amps where the circuitry is of high enough quality to make an impact--something along the lines of Meridian, Theta, Lexicon, etc..., but I doubt if there'll be a benefit from a receiver.

I personally wouldn't switch video through a receiver, even though some of them have enough bandwidth to accomodate it on paper. I understand why people do--it is easy to switch sources, especially for others in the house or if the TV doesn't have enough inputs. If the latter was the case, I would switch things other than DVD or HD. I wouldn't want to risk degradation through the extra cables or even from the receiver itself. My wife thinks I'm a little freaky about such things. [​IMG]

DJ

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I think what Bill was referring to by upconversion was the ability to connect composite, S-video, and component video in to the receiver and output it all via component. The Denon 3803 will do this as will some other receivers but not the Pioneer VSX45TX. It's not an issue if you have enough inputs on the tv.

I do component video swithcing for 2 progressive scan dvd players thru my 45tx with no picture degradation. I run the HD straight to the set though.

4. BillFank

BillFank Auditioning

That is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for making that clearer. Does anyone know if this upconversion will make the signal better? I guess my thought is it takes the input signal and converts it but doesn't improve the picture quality.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Converting the video from composite to S-video etc. in the receiver would use the same circuitry as may be found in a TV set to do the same conversion.

It remains unknown as to the quality of that conversion. We will have to wait for magazine reviews or satisfied customers or test laboratories to come forth with such information compares with similar information about how well TV sets do the conversion.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Bill,
    It just converts one connection format to another, doesn't do anything to improve signal quality nor does it do any processing to the signal, such as converting 480i to 480p or applying 3/2 pulldown.

It's just a convenience feature as it eliminates the need to switch video inputs on the tv set when changing from S-video or composite sources to component video sources.

For composite sources it may be a detriment.

Composite sources require some kind of comb filter in the set while S-video and component video don't, so sets bypass the comb filter when fed from those connections. Since there's no comb filter in the receiver, feeding it a composite source and passing it to the set via S-video or component would mean no comb filter would be used for that source.