What's new

Upcoming Timeless Releases (1 Viewer)

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
On the "Tales of Wells Fargo" Season 1 & 2 set, I had a problem with "The Hijackers" episode on Disc #2. It froze up on both my machines about a minute into the show.
On Disc #6, I had an issue with "The Newspaper" episode. It wouldn't play on my Toshiba burner but played fine on my cheapo Philips playback deck.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
I hope it is not true about music substitution on Johnny Staccatto. If true, I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before.
Can anyone from Timeless comment?
ST

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
SimonTemplar said:
I hope it is not true about music substitution on Johnny Staccato. If true, I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before.
Can anyone from Timeless comment?
ST
It's hard to imagine Timeless doing anything as elaborate as music substitutions on their DVDs, and it seems unlikely (to me) that any of the soundtrack would have been altered when J.S. was shown on the Trio cable channel around 2004. Have there been any known instances of music removal/substitutions on any other Universal/Revue shows released on DVD?
Update--Maybe there are a few subs, according to a comment here:
http://hollywooddreamland.blogspot.com/2010/12/tv-noir-johnny-staccato-1959-60.html
Quote:
C.K. Dexter Haven said...
Deb, like you I read about this--and many other shows--in the TV Bible, Brooks & Marsh's The Complete Directory to Primetime Network and Cable TV Shows. I even had their initial version, a smaller paperback from 1985 called "100 Greatest TV Shows", or something.
One thing I should mention for sticklers and perfectionists: There are a few instances of music replacement: in the episode "The Man in the Pit", where the opening number is overdubbed by some generic big band piece, and two vocal numbers that sound too contemporary but not as jarring as the instrumental overdub in "Pit." There must've been copyright clearance issues in those instances. Other than that, this set is perfect. Elmer Bernstein's underscore and main theme are tremendous! They're practically characters themselves!
I'll have to check this episode out, but this account seems plausible. This should not stop anyone from picking up the DVD set, though! it's a great show.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Guy Foulard /t/314653/upcoming-timeless-releases/120#post_3871900
I'll have to check this episode out, but this account seems plausible. This should not stop anyone from picking up the DVD set, though! it's a great show.
Will likely get the Johnny Staccato set at some point, along with the mini-series Aspen.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing into the future and I see some more Universal goodies coming down the pike:
I see a great police series based on a popular series of novels.
I see a distaff version of a popular service comedy.
I see a couple of rotating series, one of men with different professions and another of an unusual length.
That's all I can see now as its getting fuzzy again. :D

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
A few exciting prospects there! I'm also hoping for one about a jet-setting guy with a terminal prognosis...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Guy Foulard said:
A few exciting prospects there! I'm also hoping for one about a jet-setting guy with a terminal prognosis...
Multiple ownership issues make that one a little bit more dicey.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
I'm seeing into the future and I see some more Universal goodies coming down the pike:
I see a couple of rotating series, one of men with different professions and another of an unusual length.
87th Precinct
Broadside
Bold Ones
Name Of The Game
I'd certainly get them!

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
I checked the Staccato episode Man In a Pit out and indeed the music in the teaser sequence sounds like a substitution. It's in keeping with the show's style, but the instrument resonance is completely different to any other music in the series.
What a shame. It's still one of my favourite detective shows but I hope that when the Staccato blu ray comes they'll sort it out.
ST

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Neil or Danny, the series I'm really interested in is Broadside, a McHale's Navy female version and with a producer like Edward Montagne it should be a winner in my book

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
maskedmala said:
Neil or Danny, the series I'm really interested in is Broadside, a McHale's Navy female version and with a producer like Edward Montagne it should be a winner in my book
I've had a set of them for 20 years and it was a show I watched as a child. Its a bit similar to McHale's Navy, although there really isn't a character comparable to Ensign Parker. However, you do get the adorable redhead Kathy Nolan in the lead role, which is a plus for any series. :blush:

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar /t/314653/upcoming-timeless-releases/120#post_3872151
I checked the Staccato episode Man In a Pit out and indeed the music in the teaser sequence sounds like a substitution. It's in keeping with the show's style, but the instrument resonance is completely different to any other music in the series.
What a shame. It's still one of my favourite detective shows but I hope that when the Staccato blu ray comes they'll sort it out.
So there may be a Blu-ray release of Johnny Staccato? Will wait for that then, unless there will be just the DVD set from Timeless.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/314653/upcoming-timeless-releases/120#post_3872146
87th Precinct
Broadside
Bold Ones
Name Of The Game
I'd certainly get them!
Would be interested in 87th Precinct (as it's something I'd like to see more from Timeless, detective series), The Bold Ones (The New Doctors and the Ironside crossover) and The Name of the Game (the format of the show, and Robert Stack, 'nuff said).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/314653/upcoming-timeless-releases/120#post_3872114
That's all I can see now as its getting fuzzy again.

As we've been saying, if it's 50's/60's Uni stuff then there's a great chance we'll get it from Timeless.

Gary "I'm seeing other titles as well, so expect Timeless to really be turning out some great stuff in 2012" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am going to have trouble keeping up with all of these Timeless releases. What a nice problem!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisALM /t/314653/upcoming-timeless-releases/150#post_3872259
I am going to have trouble keeping up with all of these Timeless releases. What a nice problem!
Yes indeed!

Gary "I will have to wait for some solid discounts with many of these upcoming releases, but I plan on getting many of them" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I also foresee some non-Universal releases. I'm getting an image of a private detective with a very cool jazz theme. I also see a show taking place on a boat with similar very cool music. And I see another show taking place down south with a lead and his silent but tough sidekick. Yes, some more goodies are coming.
Thank you Timeless. So many, many good shows produced during the first 20 years of television and so few since. Even those "failed" series, which many times hadn't failed but died due to network or sponsor politics, usually were of above average quality. Well, I guess you could blame expansion. Too many channels, too many shows, not enough qualified writers and producers.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Neil Brock said:
I also foresee some non-Universal releases. I'm getting an image of a private detective with a very cool jazz theme. I also see a show taking place on a boat with similar very cool music. And I see another show taking place down south with a lead and his silent but tough sidekick. Yes, some more goodies are coming.
Thank you Timeless. So many, many good shows produced during the first 20 years of television and so few since. Even those "failed" series, which many times hadn't failed but died due to network or sponsor politics, usually were of above average quality. Well, I guess you could blame expansion. Too many channels, too many shows, not enough qualified writers and producers.
Neil, one of those shows sounds very much like, Mr. Lucky. If so, what a WELCOMED release. :) Another one sounds like Yancy Derringer. :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
That first one isn't Peter Gunn (Whos first season was started by A&E but then :( ABANDONED :( ) is it? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks