Upcoming 'smaller' movies that have me intrigued...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oct 3, 2000
    While aimlessly wandering around the IMDb (I was bored), I was re-introduced to a handful of upcoming titles that have me quite intrigued:

Envy - Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weisz and Amy Poehler. Written by first-timer Steve Adams and directed by Barry Levinson. Scheduled (tenatatively) for: Spring 2004

I read recently that this one (previously scheduled for a Fall 2003 release) has been delayed indefinitely - AND that it may be considered for direct-to-video status! [​IMG] You can see the trailer here.

Welcome to Mooseport - Gene Hackman, Ray Romano, Maura Tierney, Fred Savage, Rip Torn, Marcia Gay Harden, Christine Baranski. Written by Tom (Dead Poets Society, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, What About Bob?, Holy Man) Schulman and directed by Donald Petrie. Scheduled for: 02/06/04

After his term comes to an end, the former president (Hackman) retires to a small New England town. His neighbors convince him to run for mayor, but, in an effort to keep things honest, the owner of the local hardware store (Romano) opts to run against him. Naturally, what should have been a fair race turns into an all-out war.

(I love a good ensemble comedy. And here's one that sounds like a doozy...)

Eulogy - Debra Winger, Hank Azaria, Ray Romano, Zooey Deschanel, Famke Janssen, Rip Torn, Paget Brewster, Jesse Bradford, Piper Laurie, Glenne Headly, Kelly Preston. Written and directed by newcomer Michael Clancy. Scheduled for: March 2004

A black comedy that follows three generations of a family, who come together for the funeral of the patriarch - unveiling a litany of family secrets and covert relationships.

(Sure it may sound a bit like that awful Passed Away flick, but for Artisan to give Clancy the job...I'm guessing the screenplay was tight. Just look at that cast! It'll be nice to see Debra Winger again too.)

Duplex - Ben Stiller, Drew Barrymore, Wallace Shawn, Harvey Fierstein, Swoosie Kurtz, Maya Rudolph, James Remar. Written by (former Simpsons producer) Larry Doyle and Stiller's scribe John (Meet the Parents, Zoolander) Hamburg and directed by dark comedy genius Danny DeVito. Scheduled for: 10/24/03

In terms of living the American Dream, Alex and Nancy have it pretty good. They're a young, vibrant couple in New York City with bright futures ahead of them. But one thing is missing: a home of their own. But their new home comes with one feature they didn't expect: an upstairs rent-controlled tenant, Mrs. Connelly, who isn't quite as easy going or frail as Alex and Nancy originally anticipated. As their blissful life begins to seriously fary around the edges, their dream home rapidly turns into a nightmare. It's then that they start to wonder: if they can't move Mrs. Connelly out...

Elf - Will Ferrell, James Caan, Zooey Deschanel, Bob Newhart, Mary Steenburgen, Faizon Love and Ed Asner as Santa Claus. Written by Scot (Road Trip, Old School and first-timer David (the upcoming The Haunted Mansion) Berenbaum, with co-writing and directorial duties performed by the painfully cool Jon Favreau. Scheduled for: 11/07/03

After inadvertently wreaking havoc on the elf community due to his ungainly size, a man raised as an elf at the North Pole is sent to the U.S. in search of his true identity.

(and in a similar seasonal vein...)

Bad Santa - Billy Bob Thornton, Bernie Mac, John Ritter, Lauren Graham, Cloris Leachman, Lauren Tom. Story credit courtesy of The Coen Brothers, screenplay credit to first-timer Arnie Marx, Glenn (Cats & Dogs, the upcoming Looney Tunes: Back in Action) and partner John Requa. And directed by Terry (Crumb, Ghost World) Zwigoff! Scheduled for: 11/26/03

"Bad Santa" is the story of two conmen who go on a road trip to malls dressed as Santa and his elf. Rather than spreading good cheer, the duo's motive is to rob each establishment, a strategy that becomes complicated when they encounter an 8-year-old who teaches them the true meaning of Christmas.

The Stepford Wives - Nicole Kidman, Better Midler, Matthew Broderick, Christopher Walken, Glenn Close, Faith Hill. Ira Levin's novel is being adapted by Paul (Addams Family Values, In & Out) Rudnick and directed by comedy guru Frank (Little Shop of Horrors, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, What About Bob?, Housesitter, Bowfinger) Oz. Sad to hear that Joan and John Cusack had to bail on the film due to the death of their father. Sad news for the family AND for movie fans. Scheduled for: 06/11/04

So which of these ones will end up SUCKING really bad, thereby making me look like an imbecile. (Keep in mind that once upon a time I predicted BIG things for a movie called Osmosis Jones
    so my skills of cinematic precognition are limited at best.)

Which of these ones do you most (or least) want to experience?

And how nice it is to see Ms. Zooey getting some attention these days. I love that gal. :b
  2. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

May 9, 2001
    Elizabeth S
    I've wanted to see "Bad Santa" ever since I heard about it. The whole deal with the 8-year old sounds like it could get schmaltzy, but something about the story appeals to me anyway!

While "The Stepford Wives" is another candidate for "why remake a good thing", I'm still going to see it. Quite an interesting, eclectic cast.

"Eulogy" and "Welcome to Mooseport" have great casts that would make them worth seeing.

I'd probably pass on the rest. I caught the trailer for "Elf" at the theatre a while back, and it was juvenile and silly. That means it'll be a huge seasonal hit, no doubt. [​IMG]