Upcoming PC Games, anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, May 25, 2002.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Being out of the loop (not owning a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube) and only owning a Dreamcast, I thought it time to start a thread concerning games for the PC. What's coming out that you just can;t wait for? I've gone through several websites (Gamespot, PC Gamer, GamesDomain) and really haven't been thrilled with the coverage of upcoming games. Anyhow, here's what I've run across that piqued my interest:
    Icewind Dale 2: I haven't played the first one but I have caught everything else in the D&D line (Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Pool of Radiance) and enjoyed them. Another bonus is the fact that it's using 3rd Edition rules (hopefully moreso than PoR, but..)
    Neverwinter Nights: You saw this coming from my previous comments. [​IMG] The single player by itself would have me on this but being able to play online with other gamers and a DM running the show...man, if's its half as good as what I've imagined...[​IMG]
    Age of Wonders 2: I'll admit, I don't have much info on this game but it does look nifty. I'm hoping to catch a review of it somewhere or perhaps see it before considering it for purchase.
    Warcraft 3: Love the Blizzard line of Warcraft 2/Starcraft products. I'm 99% sure they'll deliver the goods with this one.
    Master of Orion 3: Fun times with MoO 2 - hopefully the fun translates over with better graphics, extended gameplay.
    So, what else am I overlooking? Is Doom 3 coming close to being shipped? Heck, I'm still looking for verified information about Team Fortress 2.

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Im looking forward to

Warcraft 3
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Also all the other new Lucasarts PC games

But if you want brand new games I suggest

Star Wars Jedi Knight:Jedi Outcast
    Grand Theft Auto 3-MUST GET

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Mafia looks pretty neat. I hadn't even heard of it before, but I don't follow PC games as closely as consoles [​IMG]
    For me, I'm really looking forward to No One Lives Forever 2. I loved the original; it plays very well and I have a lot of appreciation for games that succeed in having a unique sense of style and mood. The sequel looks like it's going to expand on that nicely.

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Warcraft 3 - Although I've played the multiplayer beta quite a bit, it really hasn't held my interest as I'd have hoped (I haven't played it at all since about the time Dungeon Siege came out). It has some issues that I hope are worked out at least somewhat (There's been a number of patches I haven't tried yet) but I am very interested in the Single player game in this one... which is quite unusual. I have a shelf full of RTS games and I've only played through the SP game in a few of them, usually opting to head straight into multiplayer.

C&C Generals - A new alternate universe for C&C, a nice looking 3D engine, and the team that did my favorite RTS game, Red Alert 2. I don't know how this could fail... but I was wrong about RA2.

Planetside - Very interested to see what Verant can do with a massively multiplayer action game. Haven't been keeping too close of a tabs on it though, so I'm not sure how it's progressing.

Duke Nukem Forever - Who knows when it's coming out, who knows what it's going to be like, but it's Duke, it's not some cheap spinoff, it should be good.

Don't know anything about Mafia, but it looks nice in those pics.

Currently playing Grand Theft Auto 3.... really really nice.

6. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Doom3 has basically eclipsed anythign else I was looking forward to...no game has ever impressed me this much. I simply can't wait for it...

But I know I will buy Warcraft 3. I played the beta and loved it to death...can't wait to get my hands on the full version. Worlds of Warcraft looks cool too but I think I will stay away from it if I want to maintain any kind of social life.

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Nope, Camp. 3D Realms announced a while back they didn't want to show anything.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Arr, I'll upgrade my computer to play C&C Generals, after the blast I had with RA2. I've always preferred the C&C universe to Blizzard's games, and the addition of an actual co-op mode to the RA series and now Generals, well, sign me up [​IMG].
    If they release an expansion to Freedom Force (please please please please), I'll snap that one up immediately. Going to give GTA3 a try hopefully as well, and WarCraft III if I can get it running modestly well.
    Since my computer is slowly sliding down to the far far away from high-tech end of things, I've been looking at older games to fiddle with. Hopefully I'll be picking up both Commandos 2 &/or NOLF soon.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

12. John Thomas

Grand Theft Auto 3-MUST GET
    Joey, I thought about it but I'd really like to get it (and any game for that matter) in it's best format. Is GTA3 better on the PS2? I've heard several of my friends just raving and flat-out slobbering over themselves about this game on the PS2.
    Wow, Mafia does look great. Hopefully the quality won't drop off from screenshot-to-actual gaming. I've seen several games do such and it's really disappointing.
    Does anyone have a bit more detail on a few of those games you mentioned? C&C Generals and Star Wars Galaxies for starters. Is Star Wars Galaxies the knockoff of Warcraft/Starcraft, with differnet factions and it's PoV is up top?

13. John Capozzi

John Capozzi Auditioning

Star Wars:Galaxies is a Massively Multiplayer Role Playing Game (MMORPG).
    Not a thing like Warcraft or C&C. [​IMG]

14. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

The Matrix computer game is intriguing to me. Larry and Andy Wachowski, being game fans themselves, are directly involved in its development.
    more info?

15. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    You guys are missing some obvious titles. Namely Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal II. I expect both games to be great. I'm especially excited about UT03. I spent hundreds of hours online with UT involved in clan play.

Splinter Cell may also be one to keep an eye on.

Aaron

16. John Thomas

Doh! Thanks, Aaron. However, how do UT'03 and U2 differ? I only picked up UT and not the original so I don't see what the hub-bub was about Unreal vs Unreal Tournament.
    By the way, Icewind Dale 2 was released today, I think. I would pick it up but i really do need to finish Pool of Radiance first. :b

17. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Unreal was mainly a single player game while Unreal Tournament, like Quake 3 Arena, is mainly a Multiplayer, Online game with the single game consisting of deathmatch against bots.

The same holds true with Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2.

And I don't think there was a hub-hub with Unreal vs Unreal Tournament.

18. Mark Evans

Actually John, Icewind Dale 2 is still listed as Q3 2002 off the Interplay website. Just a heads-up for anybody who was going to go hunting for it [​IMG]

19. John Thomas

Maybe 'hub-bub' was the wrong term. I was under the idea that they were the same except UT was multiplayer (which seems to be right). So, I didn't see why there was such raving about UT when it came out since it was the same, gameplay-wise, as Unreal.
    Mark, Best Buy has Icewind Dale 2 as being released tomorrow. Here is the link.

20. Mark Evans

Hmm, well, EB's website lists July 1st. Between that and Interplay's Q3 off their website, I'd wager that Best Buy is wrong.
    My two bits though. Props up if I'm wrong on this, but I think the next big RPG for PCs is going to be the tasty morsel of Neverwinter Nights next month.
    Anybody want to DM? [​IMG]