Upcoming Paramount (mostly Oct)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley-E, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Paramount's revealed a number of new titles for release in September and October. In September, the newly announced titles include MacGyver: The Complete Third Season (9/6), Winter Solstice (9/13), The Ren & Stimpy Show: Seasons Five & Some More of Four (9/20), Anything Goes and Hogan's Heroes: The Complete Second Season (9/27). Newly slated titles for October include The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut (10/4), Hondo and Mclintock! (10/11), Darling Lili, Detective Story, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers and the Titanic: Special Edition (officially set for 10/25). The Honeymooners (2005) and South Park: The Complete Sixth Season are also set for release in October (street date TBA).

2. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Does the non-pd THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS and the never-before-on-home-video DETECTIVE STORY mean that we are any closer to a dvd release of ACE IN THE HOLE? Kirk Douglas was the first American anti-hero. Even his performance as "The Gentleman Caller" in the 1950 THE GLASS MENAGERIE (also unavailable on homevideo) is played more as an opportunist than a dreamer.

3. Jing_B

Jing_B Stunt Coordinator

What about The african Queen?

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

That title too! It's one of the last crown jewels of films not released in Region 1, but I'm glad they're taking their time and doing it right.

Crawdaddy

5. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Paramount seems to be digging a bit deeper and releasing more new to the Home Entertainmen format titles. DETECTIVE STORY is a good sign. Maybe titles like WARNING SHOT, ACE IN THE HOLE, SHANKS, SKIDOO, COME BLOW YOUR HORN, OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR, THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY and THE FURIES will make the cut sometime soon.

I believe I read that THE AFRICAN QUEEN would be released in 2006, but don't quote me on that.

6. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

and hopefully very soon LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER.!!!!!! A wonderfull film with Natalie Wood .
    Its surprising that with so many Steve McQueen films released this year its not out yet.

7. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

So, I guess Paramount isn't releasing any horror titles for Halloween this year? Its looking more and more that way, and if so, its very disappointing, as I'm still waiting for several favorites from them.

Still, I will happily pick up Hogan's Heroes season 2.

8. Felix_K

Felix_K Auditioning

African Queen is at Paramount? I always blamed Warner for making me wait so long..

9. eric tengren

eric tengren Stunt Coordinator

FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE !!!!!!!!!!!

10. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I would love to see SHANKS receive a DVD release.

As for SKIDOO, I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to see it earlier this year at a screening in Philadelphia. Apparently, prints of this film are extremely rare and everyone involved seems to have disowned it. (Wouldn't that make for a great extra? A documentary in which everyone trashes it bitterly!) Still, I'd like to see it on DVD so more people could have the chance to see it.

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    There was apparently confusion over the rights to AQ, which has been one of the reasons this one has been so long in coming. For a long while most of us thought it was with Fox (they released the VHS of AQ back in the 80s), until Peter Staddon told us in a chat they no longer had it. I don't think the rights issue was finally straightened out until a couple of years ago. At that time it was noted the film needed significant work.

Crawdaddy's right. The Mountain is aware of the interest in this one and they're taking the time to do it right.

12. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

With the release of ADVISE & CONSENT and BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING and with LAURA (and WHIRLPOOL and WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS forthcoming) from Fox, it is wonderful that Otto Preminger, a widescreen wizard, is finally getting the video recognition that he deserves. I'd love to see Paramount bring out their Preminger films on dvd: SKIDOO (which for the cast alone is certainly more fascinating than that other 60s artifact HELLO DOWN THERE), HURRY SUNDOWN, TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON, and SUCH GOOD FRIENDS. None of these have had VHS or LD precedents, and Paramount merits praise for thinking outside the box with their catalog titles (ANYTHING GOES and DETECTIVE STORY).

13. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Do you know something that we don't Crawdaddy? This is easily my most wanted title on DVD, and my family will account for at least three purchases.

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Paramount are doing just fine of late. However, I am still eagerly and impatiently awaiting Ace in the Hole, The Conformist, If... , Reds and 1900 (I have the German 2-disc from MGM, though).

Paramount may own the rights to Luchino Visconti's, Lo Straniero (The Stranger, based on Albet Camus' philosophical novel) but I'm not sure. It is long overdue a legit home video release, just like Ace in the Hole.

15. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

frankly, i've become pretty disappointed in Paramount.

for one thing, the continued absence of Ace In The Hole, Love With The Proper Stranger, and what now looks to be another Halloween without Let's Scare Jessica To Death has been very frustrating for this fan (LSJTD did have a little cameo in the recent Prime Cut...albeit only on a theater marquee)

but what is more disconcerting is the slip in quality.
    i first noticed this with the Have Gun-Will Travel S1 set.
    now i realize the original elements almost certainly have some age related issues- but the shimmering, moire, and general compression artifacting are not related to the elements...thats just poor encoding.
    i was further shocked to see even more noticeably bad encoding/compression on the Sally Field movie Back Roads a few months back.
    also, i just picked up The Untouchable SE and was treated to similar problems.
    honestly, these discs look like they they have been sitting around since 1997.

this is not a positive development.
    Prime Cut genrerally looked decent enough, but afterwards i watched Anchor Bays Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry- a lower budget film from the same time period and it looked considerably more impressive.

i've become really disappointed in Paramount lately, and from the (from my perspective) lackluster upcoming announcemnts to continuing concerns about quality, they have sadly fallen in my estimation.

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I would have thought that all the positive press on Danger: Diabolik would loosen their grasp on Four Flies on Grey Velvet a little, but I guess not.

And second the call for Let's Scare Jessica to Death, though if the announced remake-in-name-only happens we'll see it for certain. One of the great 70s horrors (and what a poster!).

17. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

A agree about LET'S SCARE JESSICA...

STUDENT BODIES would have also been a nice title for them to have finally announced for October.

I am still most disappointed in the Television lineup. While yes...I will be purchasing the Brady sets and the Lucy sets...I still want LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY Seasons two through eight.

18. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Can anyone confirm a Face/Off: SE?

19. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Gordon, we have almost exactly the same Paramount wants! Although mine also include One-Eyed Jacks.

I looked on the German Amazon website but they aren't listing any DVD version of 1900. Do you know of any other source for it? Also, does this version have English subtitles (as far as I recall, much of the dialogue wasn't in English)?

20. Felix_K

Felix_K Auditioning

1900 is rated "not under 18" in Germany and thus not for sale at Amazon.de. As for the subtitles: apparently, the disc offers english and german subtitles for the hearing impaired, aswell as some normal subtitles in french, norwegian, danish, dutch and finnish.
    Now, i'm not 100% sure on that, but this sure looks a Europe-disc, that should also be available in other european countries.