Upcoming Panasonic SA-XR57 w/ HDMI v1.2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Danny Tse, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Panasonic's SA-XR series of Class D-powered home theater receivers have been causing quite a stir in recent years. Panasonic is set to introduce a new receiver next month, the SA-XR57, and its owner's manual just came online. Surprisingly, this receiver sports HDMI v1.2 inputs, which will allow SACD to use one single HDMI cable to pass through its hi-rez signal.

Is Sony readying a line of SACD-capable players with HDMI v1.2?

Here's the owner's manual to the SA-XR57. Check out the specs on page 37.

2. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Agent

What I cannot believe is that it only has a "SINGLE" HDMI in!

What were they thinking.........[​IMG]

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I know! doh.

they were probably thinking "one is an improvement over XR55"

4. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

I sure wish they would give the Panny a lil more power also.

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

6. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I was just about ready to pick up an XR55 but now im not sure. I think the ability to connect DVD-Audio over HDMI makes it worth it.

7. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

the HDMI 1.2 specs also allow for DSD/SACD, but no one is sure if the new Panny will decode it (if it uses TI's Aureus DSP chips, then it should be able to)

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Unless they've changed their minds, two years ago a Panasonic representative told Highfidelityreview.com Panasonic would never sell an sacd-related product.

This is not surprising since Panasonic was responsible for most of the R&D for the hardware for the dvd-audio format.

For the same basic reasons, I also never expect Sony or Philips to ever sell a dvd-audio capable player.

And the way sales of sacd and dvd-audio are going, this is now almost a purely academic matter. [​IMG] And IMO on the practical side, the lack of a standradized bass management scheme for either format severely reduced their appeal for many people.

Off-topic FYI: I have noticed more and more surround music releases on the dvd-video format, most of which are including DTS, DTS-ES or the DTS96/24 format. Along with those, the dvd-video format can also include up to a 96kHz/24bit stereo track which is playable on any standard dvd-video player.

Here's an example (though it's a bit "old" i.e. from Sep. 2003): though I'm not really into this type of music for regular listening, for loud get-togethers it would be good and frankly I'm curious about its mix which some of its owners say is really aggressive:

Behind The Decks CD/dvd package

Amazon had lots of detailed reviews for this just last month but now for some reason they're all gone.

A guy named Richie Hawtin also has released a 5.1 dvd version of one of his techno albums (released in 2005): DE9: Transitions (samples here).