Upcoming Musicals?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DonRoeber, Feb 9, 2004.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

After the huge success of Moulin Rouge! and then Chicago, I was a bit surprised to not see any big musicals in 2003. Are there any in production for release in 2004? Or are studios afraid that they won't be able to match the success of the previous two?

2. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

There's the perennial talk of a film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera. I think a Rent film may be in the works. After Chicago's success there was buzz about a new version of Guys And Dolls.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't know as Moulin Rouge could be called a "huge success". It wasn't a flop, but I think it was more a modest hit than something big.

There's also an adaptation of the Producers musical in the works.

Still, I think producers also note that for every Chicago there's a The Fantasticks; it's a genre without a whole lot of room between "outstanding" and "utter disaster".

4. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

The talk about Phantom of the Opera is more than talk as it's started production already I think, if it's not finished with production. There was a photo released of Christine and the Phantom not too long ago.

[EDIT] Here's the photo (if I'm able to link from AICN)
    [​IMG]

Any film version of "Rent" is just talk, and quite honestly I think the show's time has come and gone and it wouldn't fly too well nowadays. The show seems awfully whiney and adolescent to me now.

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Musicals set to open this year:

De-Lovely (previously known as or AKA "Just One Of Those Things")
    Phantom Of The Opera
    Bride and Prejudice: The Bollywood Musical

As last reported Miramax has moved up the production of Damn Yankees ahead of Guys and Dolls. Miramax had also acquired the rights to Pippin.

~Edwin

6. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Will the remake of Willy Wonka be a musical?

Colton

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

DreamWorks also has Moxie in script development.

~Edwin

8. Sean Laughter

Great!!! I love "Pippin" to death - as a show on paper anyway. I hope it's done really well. I've been waiting for a broadway revival of this show for a while actually. I'm not too terribly fond of the Fosse production, but that's mainly from a design standpoint (the costumes, ugh, hated them, even given the decade it was produced).

9. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Dreamworks was in hot pursuit of the film rights to the Sondheim musical Sweeney Todd over the Summer. (Tim Burton had been aching to direct this when Columbia had the rights; I'm assuming he's now out of the picture) Spielberg has said he wants to do a musical but I don't know if he intends to direct this one.

About a year ago, Killer Films announced its intention to produce a film version of Urinetown: The Musical but I haven't heard a thing since.

The only thing I liked about that one was what Bob Fosse did with it - now *there's* a case of hiding a multitude of flaws with razzle-dazzle showmanship. Just my opinion, of course.

10. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I saw a commercial on TV this weekend about a new Dirty Dancing movie...

11. Ruth_F

Ruth_F Stunt Coordinator

yes at it looks very sexy - ok the actor looks very sexy [​IMG] I'm looking forward to the screening next week i think.

12. Sean Laughter

Well, I don't really consider the original Dirty Dancing a musical or anything, but this new movie has me confused. The trailer calls it a retelling, but I don't really see how that works. Is it a remake or something? I've only seen the trailer online and no one I know is interested in seeing it. It might end up being a "best left in the 80's" disaster.

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Warner Bros. has now acquired the rights to Rent from Miramax with Chris Columbus to pen and helm.

~Edwin

14. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

IIRC, this is due Christmas, 2004.

15. Sean Laughter

Well, my original post was done in February after all, give me a break [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm not to pleased with Chris Columbus being attached, the last thing RENT needs is someone as cookie-cutter as Columbus.

16. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It's DeLovely is coming out soon. Screenings have been held. It's a biographical take on Cole Porter. Reviews have been OK. The Fantasicks would have been fine if it not had been re-edited into a stupor by Francis Ford Coppola. It's still worth a look and listen on DVD.

17. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

I so can't wait for 'Phantom of the Opera'

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Mel Brooks' The Producers is coming in 2005.

19. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Musicals are my favorite genre.

I have heard about Phantom of the Opera for this Christmas, Urinetown, The Producers, possibly Rent, Miramax's remake of Damn Yankees will be followed by their Guys and Dolls remake. I wish they would do Miss Saigon, that's perfect material for today's audience. Sweeney Todd , I am not sure.....last I heard Dreamworks was considering it. The Willy Wonka is not going to be a musical.

As for TV, MAME will be made sometime next year. Streisand's production company owns the tv rights, but she has said she will not star. Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Disney version, will be a live action musical for tv...Also, Fiddler on the Roof is being redone for TV, I believe this will be the next tv musical. Annie Get your Gun is also under production for CBS.

The scary part of a return of musicals, is that because it is so fresh with audiences after such a great filming as Chicago, one bad transfer from stage to screen could ruin the chances of a long-term comeback. Here's some of those stories:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/83914.html [/url]

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84832.html

20. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Musicals are my favorite genre.

I have heard about Phantom of the Opera for this Christmas, Urinetown, The Producers, possibly Rent, Miramax's remake of Damn Yankees will be followed by their Guys and Dolls remake. I wish they would do Miss Saigon, that's perfect material for today's audience. Sweeney Todd , I am not sure.....last I heard Dreamworks was considering it. The Willy Wonka is not going to be a musical.

As for TV, MAME will be made sometime next year. Streisand's production company owns the tv rights, but she has said she will not star. Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Disney version, will be a live action musical for tv...Also, Fiddler on the Roof is being redone for TV, I believe this will be the next tv musical. Annie Get your Gun is also under production for CBS.

The scary part of a return of musicals, is that because it is so fresh with audiences after such a great filming as Chicago, one bad transfer from stage to screen could ruin the chances of a long-term comeback. Here's some of those stories:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/83914.html [/url]

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84832.html