Upcoming MGM edition of Junior Bonner is NON-anamorphic.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Review here

What a disapointment. MGM go to the trouble of getting Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle and paying them to provide a commentary, but do not create a new anamorphic transfer. Same old transfer, folks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Of course not... The transfer was provided by Disney. It's the same transfer they supplied to Anchor Bay a few years back.

Lazy.

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I'm a big Peckinpah fan, but I refuse to buy this.

---
    So many films, so little time...

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Me too, John - I have loved Peckinpah's movies ever since I saw Cable Hogue when I was a kid and none of his movies have ever disapointed me. But I am MASSIVELY disapointed by MGM not insisting on creating a new anamorphic transfer from the best print available or from a newly created print. The region 2 edition is pan and scan is it not? The cover states 4:3.

Hell In The Pacific is the same. I - along with many others - have never seen it in 2.35:1 - then the DVD comes out and it is non-anamorphic. Then it is issued by MGM and is again non-anamorphic. What is so hard about creating a new, anamorphic transfer of those films? I think that Jack is right, it is plain and simple LAZINESS.

Junior Bonner and Hell In The Pacific will sell about 30 copies when they come out, when more could be sold to savvy home theater types like us.

In general, I love MGM, but they make the weirdest descisions some time, for example: They create a superb new transfer of the uncut version Raw Meat (a damn good film, I might add), yet they do not make new transfers of Steve McQueen movies - but they do assemble a new audio commentary on the film!

Rule 1 in creating a DVD:

i.Create an optimal high-definition film-to-tape transfer

ii. If the ratio is 1.66:1 or above, encode the transfer as anamorphic

iii. Remove obviously noticeable scratches, dirt/water marks

iv. Carefully correct any faded colours

For the most part, MGM and other companies seem to be adhering to this, but not always...

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

But that's simply not cost-effective for a huge number of films, including, I'm afraid, a minor Peckinpah. It's a cheap disc, it has a good commentary and it's in the correct aspect ratio - I'm happy.

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Cost effectiveness has little to do with it; films like Hell in The Pacific and Junior Bonner - particularly after going to the trouble of organising a commentary - are not aimed at the DVD mass market, they're aimed at cinema enthusiasts.

But if they can't be bothered to create an anamorphic transfer I, and many others to whom this is an intense irritation, can't be bothered to buy it. The cost of doing it right would have been covered by a greater number of fans who would have been willing to part with their dollars.

Buying it, putting up with this shoddiness, will only encourage further examples.

---

7. Glenn D

Glenn D Agent

I'm still going to pick up both these flicks, can't wait to watch them.

8. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

How is Disney involved with JUNIOR BONNER? I don't think it's a Disney film.

9. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Second Unit

I will rent Junior Bonner (again) as well as Hell in the Pacific, but not buy.

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

The film was produced by ABC. ABC, of course, was bought by Disney a number of years back. Disney owns all of ABC's productions, which they generally used to license out to Anchor Bay and which they now generally license out to MGM. These include Junior Bonner and Hell in the Pacific.

The decisions regarding the quality of the transfers may indeed be wrongheaded, but the lion's share of that blame lies with Disney, not MGM.

DJ

11. Jon Robertson

Yes, but the opposite may convince them that no-one's particularly interested in Peckinpah. By all accounts, the transfer isn't especially bad, just not outstanding. I can relate that statement to a large number of anamorphic transfers too.

I may not like MGM/Disney's decision, but I can understand it from a business perspective.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

I agree Jon, that that is a worry (the corporate brain needs a scapegoat after all), but surely someone at MGM/Disney will see that both Warners and Fox's sales figures for their classic titles are shooting past their own and will ask the question why? For much the same reason, I've not bought MGMs R2 UK of A Fistful of Dynamite.

It's a very, very minor stand - and I'm sure they're trembling at MGM HQ [​IMG] - but I'm making it.

Up with this, I will not put...and there are sooo many better transfers of classic films that deserve my hard earned.

---

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Steve McQueen movies? Not big sellers on DVD? What-what-what?! [​IMG]

If it costs so much to make a new transfer, why do we see any new transfers of cult movies on DVD at all? Just use the old Laserdisc transfer!

In a few years, HD-DVD will come along and someone will have to create a new high-def anamorphic transfer - why not do it now?

14. Jon Robertson

You make a very good point, Gordon, but most cult film distributors (Blue Underground, Anchor Bay, Synapse, Fantoma) know exactly who to market their product to and how. MGM just sling 'em out there, leading to less-than-optimal sales, leading to a belief that these things aren't worth doing right. I do believe buying these sorts of things now will prompt MGM to give them A-list treatment in the future - after all, their bottom line is "Are people buying these or not?".

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

If MGM thinks that "Steve McQueen in Sam Peckinpah's, Junior Bonner" and "Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune in John Boorman's, Hell in the Pacific" will not be big sellers, why bother acquiring the rights to them and releasing them on DVD?! Just tell Disney, "No thanks."

Practically all of the Midnite Movies are low-interest cult titles that I presume do not sell that much - I love them, but is Joe Sixpack buying them?

On a side-note; The Korean MGM edition of Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia has a good anamorphic transfer. MGM now own the rights to Straw Dogs. I'm pretty sure it will be anamorphic. Shoot, they could have waited until later in the year and put out a Peckinpah boxed set with a remaster of Junior Bonner and Killer Elite. Warner is planning such a boxed set with their Peckinpah titles.

If MGM has the guts to put out a Ingmar Bergman boxed set* (TWICE!) then... surely...

I just like to see things done right - the way the customer expects and it is depressing to see non anamorphic 2.35:1 transfers being put out after 8 years of the DVD format.

* I sure can't wait for it to arrive... again! [​IMG]

16. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Well, you can't have it both ways Jon surely?

Some region - Japanese, German, French, Australian - will surely come up a decent anamorphic transfers sometime. I will not be suckered, or blackmailed by MGM/Disney, into buying sub-standard releases. I have enough of those in my collection already!

---

17. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yes, I cannot go along with that line of thought: If you buy the NON-anamorphic edition, we'll give you an anamorphic edition in a few years.

Disney/MGM could easily create new anamorphic transfers of Junior Bonner and Hell in the Pacific but they basically can't be arsed.

Remember this: Janus/Home Vision/Criterion pay for new prints to made and new transfer to be made and new extra features to be produced.

So should MGM - who have more money and clout than Criterion.

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Criterion also just releases the transfers that Disney gives them. This is why we have a non-anamorphic Armageddon and a partially misframed Chasing Amy, for example. Criterion doesn't foot the bill for the transfers for Disney films. The ABC Hitchcock restorations (Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious), for example, were done in-house at Disney by Scott MacQueen.

DJ

19. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I consider MGM the worst studio because they keep issuing non-anamorphic titles. Three more coming up this month are CUSTER OF THE WEST, THE LAST VALLEY and SHALAKO. THE LAST VALLEY was a 70mm film which has only been issued on DVD non-anamorphic with mono sound. Why can't MGM give this film a decent presentation.

20. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

These movies are DISNEY properties and DISNEY transfers... MGM is only the distributor. DISNEY deserves the brunt of the blame.