What's new

UPCOMING HITCHCOCK MASTERPIECE BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Dear Mr. Harris:
Universal has announced Sept. 25th as the release date for a limited edition blu-ray of Hitchcock classics previously available in their red velvet DVD masterpiece collection, plus one. As I understand it, Universal has also received rights and permission from Warner to include North By Northwest as part of this new box.
Question: various internet sites are advertising that "all" the films in this set will be 'remastered'. I've been around long enough to know that doesn't mean 'restored'. I also have been following message boards that claim extensive 'restoration' work has been done on The Birds - scheduled as part of this upcoming set.
What is the official status on the other titles in this box: The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Marnie, The Birds, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Topaz, Family Plot, Rear Window, et al?
It doesn't seem to me that Universal's had enough time or money to go back to the drawing board for new 4k image harvests on any of these titles, particularly with their 100th anniversary in full swing and their pending 'Monsters Essential Collection' coming out in October.
I think it would be more than just a shame to ram through a quickie box set of Hitchcock up-converted transfers from the same tired old elements already on file. Then again, I wouldn't put anything past them.
Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations? Help!!!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
This just in from THE DIGITAL BITS regarding the U.K. release.
"We're getting a lot of e-mails from readers about possible video quality issues regarding Universal's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection, due in stores on 9/25. An early review of check discs by a British reviewer for Sight and Sound magazine has uncovered some digital remastering problems, typographical errors with titles and more. There are now rumors that the release has now been delayed, possibly to address some of these issues, with a new street date TBA. Again, we've contacted the studio for official word one way or the other and will let you know when we hear back. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks