Upcoming Herzog titles from Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Nov 12, 2001.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Just saw this over at DVDFile and wanted to pass along the news. All five titles are due in January.

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I wonder why no commentary for Dieter??
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

3. ScottB

ScottB Auditioning

i saw this at Dvdfile as well (and was quite pleased that the MSRP for the Herzog films have continually dropped -- first 34.99, then 29.99, now 19.99)...
    however, Amazon has them up for Pre-order with a 29.99 MSRP, and CdNow aparantly has one of 'em up for 29.99 MSRP as well (although wrong street date). Not that Amazon has ever gotten anything right, but I haven't seen confirmation of this yet...
    [Edited last by ScottB on November 12, 2001 at 11:24 AM]

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Planning on getting these either way, but it would be nice if they were $19.95.

5. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist

Paul
    I would think that Herzog is not putting commentaries on Dieter and Darkness as they are two of his "pure" documentaries and probably doesn't want to explain them.
    Cant wait to get all these!! Herzog is one of the film gods. It's facinating to listen to him talk on his discs. I have listened and watched all of them repeatedly. In no other director have I ever sensed such a vocation. And what an actor! His granstanding performance in "Julian Donkey Boy" is unforgetable.
    "I am my films."
    Werner Herzog

6. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I rented Nosferatu recently and was dissapopinted with it. The disc has a very low bit rate and artifacts are constantly present. I'd like to see them release this without the American version; with the German version on an RSDL DVD-9 and a high bit rate, but with an anamorphic transfer.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

What!? I thought both HOG and KH were coming out the first week of Dec...
    damn! Ive been looking forward to these for YEARS...
    and yes, AB, an anamorphic transfer of NOSFERATU would be a good idea.
    I would prefer BOTH versions, but in a bit-pinch, the German will do...
    Too bad a matted 16:9 couildnt be done for AGUIRRE...(if even possible-im not a total technocrat on this issue)
    [Edited last by Mark_TS on November 12, 2001 at 04:04 PM]

8. SteveGon

I was looking forward to TEoKH and HoG also. But with Christmas coming up, and all the other great titles coming out, I'm not too disappointed that they've been pushed back a month or so. That said, I hope AB gets around to Where the Green Ants Dream and Fata Morgana. I haven't seen the latter - anyone have an opinion on it?

9. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Fata Morgana and Lessons of Darkness will be on the same DVD, in fact, up to this point it had been titled "Fata Morgana", but I think that the events of 9/11 made "Lessons of Darkness" the more topical title.
    For those who don't know, Lessons of Darkness is an incredible documentary on the Gulf War, possibly the most well made and evocative documentary ever.
    Heart of Glass is one of my Top Ten films, made even better by the excellent Popol Vuh soundtrack, as well as the amazing little short that ends the film...

10. SteveGon

11. ScottB

ScottB Auditioning

the cds are also available individually, and also a 'greatest hits of Herzog films' collection which is easier to find in the states (although obviously only a selection of tracks). I have easily 20 or more Popul Vuh releases (some duplication on vinyl & cd) and 3 different versions of the Nosferatu soundtrack. In fact, it is Popul Vuh who lead me to Herzog, not the other way around!
    I highly recommend any of their cds (except the newer stuff like City Raga), and they are one of the main reasons Herzog movies just ooze atmosphere from every frame!
    My only problem is all of the Nosferatu soundtracks I have & none of them have the music cues of the classical choral pieces used (i can't remember who composed them) -- i can't remember too clearly but i think they were used in the town square scene where the rats & caskets are overrunning the city.

12. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Don't forget, a 16x9 remaster of Herzog's NOSFERATU is due out next year from Anchor Bay. It's listed in the 'Future Releases' section.
    LESSONS OF DARKNESS and FATA MORGANA are both great films, though quite different in feel and impact...

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I wish they'd do a disc of Herzog's short doc's like Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner and How Much Wood Could a Woodchuck Chuck? or even Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe!