What's new

Upcoming Herzog titles from Anchor Bay (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just saw this over at DVDFile and wanted to pass along the news. All five titles are due in January.
Next up are Werner Herzog's Heart Of Glass, Stroszek, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Lessons Of Darkness and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, all presented in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen and German mono, and each (except Dieter and Darkness) with audio commentary by Herzog and Norman Hill, production notes, a Herzog bio, and trailers. Retail is $19.95 each.
Great news for a Herzog fan like me! :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why no commentary for Dieter??
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

ScottB

Auditioning
i saw this at Dvdfile as well (and was quite pleased that the MSRP for the Herzog films have continually dropped -- first 34.99, then 29.99, now 19.99)...
however, Amazon has them up for Pre-order with a 29.99 MSRP, and CdNow aparantly has one of 'em up for 29.99 MSRP as well (although wrong street date). Not that Amazon has ever gotten anything right, but I haven't seen confirmation of this yet...
[Edited last by ScottB on November 12, 2001 at 11:24 AM]

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Planning on getting these either way, but it would be nice if they were $19.95.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I would think that Herzog is not putting commentaries on Dieter and Darkness as they are two of his "pure" documentaries and probably doesn't want to explain them.
Cant wait to get all these!! Herzog is one of the film gods. It's facinating to listen to him talk on his discs. I have listened and watched all of them repeatedly. In no other director have I ever sensed such a vocation. And what an actor! His granstanding performance in "Julian Donkey Boy" is unforgetable.
"I am my films."
Werner Herzog

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I rented Nosferatu recently and was dissapopinted with it. The disc has a very low bit rate and artifacts are constantly present. I'd like to see them release this without the American version; with the German version on an RSDL DVD-9 and a high bit rate, but with an anamorphic transfer.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
What!? I thought both HOG and KH were coming out the first week of Dec...
damn! Ive been looking forward to these for YEARS...
and yes, AB, an anamorphic transfer of NOSFERATU would be a good idea.
I would prefer BOTH versions, but in a bit-pinch, the German will do...
Too bad a matted 16:9 couildnt be done for AGUIRRE...(if even possible-im not a total technocrat on this issue)
[Edited last by Mark_TS on November 12, 2001 at 04:04 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I was looking forward to TEoKH and HoG also. But with Christmas coming up, and all the other great titles coming out, I'm not too disappointed that they've been pushed back a month or so. That said, I hope AB gets around to Where the Green Ants Dream and Fata Morgana. I haven't seen the latter - anyone have an opinion on it?

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Fata Morgana and Lessons of Darkness will be on the same DVD, in fact, up to this point it had been titled "Fata Morgana", but I think that the events of 9/11 made "Lessons of Darkness" the more topical title.
For those who don't know, Lessons of Darkness is an incredible documentary on the Gulf War, possibly the most well made and evocative documentary ever.
Heart of Glass is one of my Top Ten films, made even better by the excellent Popol Vuh soundtrack, as well as the amazing little short that ends the film...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Heart of Glass is one of my Top Ten films, made even better by the excellent Popol Vuh soundtrack...
I liked the score so much that I bought the soundtrack to HoG as well as the soundtracks to Aguirre and Nosferatu. The cds are available as a set - they come packaged in a faux film can made of tin. A must-have for Popol Vuh/Herzog fans.
BTW, thanks for the info on Fata Morgana. January is gonna be an expensive month, methinks...

ScottB

Auditioning
the cds are also available individually, and also a 'greatest hits of Herzog films' collection which is easier to find in the states (although obviously only a selection of tracks). I have easily 20 or more Popul Vuh releases (some duplication on vinyl & cd) and 3 different versions of the Nosferatu soundtrack. In fact, it is Popul Vuh who lead me to Herzog, not the other way around!
I highly recommend any of their cds (except the newer stuff like City Raga), and they are one of the main reasons Herzog movies just ooze atmosphere from every frame!
My only problem is all of the Nosferatu soundtracks I have & none of them have the music cues of the classical choral pieces used (i can't remember who composed them) -- i can't remember too clearly but i think they were used in the town square scene where the rats & caskets are overrunning the city.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Don't forget, a 16x9 remaster of Herzog's NOSFERATU is due out next year from Anchor Bay. It's listed in the 'Future Releases' section.
LESSONS OF DARKNESS and FATA MORGANA are both great films, though quite different in feel and impact...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I wish they'd do a disc of Herzog's short doc's like Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner and How Much Wood Could a Woodchuck Chuck? or even Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks