What's new

Upcoming ELIZABETH TAYLOR DVDs (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I thought some of you might be interested in these upcoming Elizabeth Taylor films on DVD:

- Elephant Walk (July 12th, 2005)
- Sweet Bird of Youth (July 12th, 2005)
- Under Milk Wood (August 9th, 2005)

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
I've never got around to viewing "Elephant Walk"; guess I'll blind buy it soon, as I'm a big fan of both Elizabeth and Dana.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas Roeg's TV version of Sweet Bird Of Youth with Taylor has been out on DVD for 3 years now courtesy of Artisan.

I suspect then that it's a reissue. It's a terribly botched up job of the Tennessee Williams play, almost unrecognizable in order to build up the Taylor part and Mark Harmon in a terribly weak performance. The current DVD is obviously a European cut as it features nudity (thankfully, not Taylor) and sexual scenes that would never have been acceptable for prime time television.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Where in the world are "Reflections in A Golden Eye',
"The Sandpiper", "The VIPS","Ash Wednesday" and the original "Sweetbird of Youth with Paul Newman and Geraldine Page ??

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I wonder if Warner would consider an Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton: Signature Collection? Someone siggested it in another thread, and I think it's a great idea! Another Elizabeth set of unreleased to DVD films would be nice also! The first Signature Collection was just a grouping of already released, and with most of them in dire need of upgrading.

Andy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Elizabeth Taylor films MIA:
These Old Broads
Young Toscanini
Poker Alice
There Must Be a Pony
Between Friends
Return Engagement
A Little Night Music
Victory at Entebbe
Ash Wednesday
Night Watch
Hammersmith Is Out
X, Y and Zee
The Only Game in Town
Secret Ceremony
Boom
The Comedians
Reflections in a Golden Eye
The Sandpiper
The V.I.P.s
Scent of Mystery
Raintree County
Beau Brummell
Rhapsody
The Girl Who Had Everything
Love Is Better Than Ever
The Big Hangover
Conspirator
Julia Misbehaves
A Date with Judy
Cynthia
The White Cliffs of Dover
Jane Eyre
There's One Born Every Minute

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Is the Elizabeth Taylor version of "The Blue Bird" already on DVD?

If it isn't, then you forgot to include it on your list.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

At least I think it's called "The Blue Bird".

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
John -

The Blue Bird is commercially available from Ruscico, in the NTSC format, but it is considered an import. It can be found from Amazon Marketplace sellers consistently.

Andy

Tommyc

Grip
Glad to see another Elizabeth Taylor fan here. She is horribly under-represented on DVD. One of my favorites you left off your list is Identikit aka The Driver's Seat (1975), unless this is currently on DVD?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey Tommy,

I agree that she is under-represented on DVD! Where's Raintree County? Ash Wednesday? X, Y and Zee? etc., etc. The Driver's Seat is currently on DVD from various companies since it's a public domain film and can be released virtually by anyone.

Andy

Tommyc

Grip
Andrew,

I had no idea that The Driver's Seat is available. Are they Region 1 and if so, which is the best transfer? Hopefully widescreen?
Thanks for any info.

Tommyc

Grip
Another question - as far as I know Elizabeth has not contributed any commentaries to any of her films. Why is that? I'd love to hear her talking about her own work. It's a shame she didn't do the commentary for Virginia Woolf - her own personal favorite. Anyone have an answer to this?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey Tommy,

The Driver's Seat is indeed available in Region One. I bought the DVD as a double feature with Shirley Jones' Winner Take All. This is the only DVD version I personally have viewed, and the transfer is alright, un-restored obviously, and unfortunately not in widescreen.

Elizabeth has not contributed commentaries for her films, because of poor health in recent years. Her last public appearance was on her 73rd birthday on February 27th, 2005 at Elton John's Oscar after party. Her speech also has affected from a benign brain tumour operation, and often slurs when speaking. However, I have a feeling that she would participate in a Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? commentary, because as you stated, it is her favourite of her many wonderful films. Elizabeth did appear in an interview for the A Place in the Sun DVD a few years back.

Which Elizabeth titles would you like to see issued, or re-issued on DVD, Tommy?

Andy

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I wish Warners would find a pretext to release 'Reflections In A Golden Eye' - as part of an Elizabeth Taylor set, a Marlon Brando set or a John Huston set. It has two incredible performances by Brando and Taylor, and Liz gets one of my favourite lines of dialogue in any film:

"Cutting off her nipples with garden shears, do you call that normal? Garden shears!!"

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I think Warners should do a Taylor and Burton Signature Collection with the following titles:

Burton and Taylor:
- The Sandpiper
- The V.I.P.s
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
- The Comedians

I would also love to see Warner revisit the following, in no less than a 2-disc special edition for each title:
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Ultra Resoulution)
- National Velvet (Ultra Resoulution)
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I would also love a 2-disc Special Roadshow Edition of Raintree County but apparently according to Warner Bros. in the 2004 online chat, it is in real need of restoration. Since it was filmed in Techincolor, Raintree County would look great in Ultra Resoulution. I guess one can only hope.

Andy

PS For those interested in Elizabeth Taylor, please check out my site. While there isn't much on there yet, it does include a link to my online Taylor discussion group.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but true three strip technicolor stopped in 1955.
Raintree County was shot on eastman film.

Tommyc

Grip
Thanks for the answers to my questions. I agree with Bruce that Reflections in a Golden Eye is at the top of my list. The High Definition channel HDNet Movies showed this film last year and I was fortunate to see it a couple of times. It looked absolutely amazing and was broadcast in widescreen- it just whetted my appetite for a DVD release. I remember at the time of its theatrical release in '67 the first prints were almost colorless as was the artistic vision of John Huston but they were all eventually recalled and reissued in full color.
X,Y, and Zee has always been a favorite also - the swingin' London 70's. Colorful, campy, and three terrific performances by Taylor, Caine, and York - and Margaret Leighton in a see-through dress!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Maybe then a DVD release of Reflections in a Golden Eye is on its way soon? I hope so! I've never actually seen this film all the way through, although I have I taped it off of TV several years ago. It makes me wish I was better at labeling my videos, so I could find it easier! C'mon Warner, don't make me look for it! haha

Andy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Moving this over from the Marlene thread:

I'd love A Date with Judy, Raintree County and a new National Velvet. We won't get a new Father of the Bride or BUtterfield 8 - they both were released not too long ago? What do you think the odds are of a restored Last Time I Saw Paris a la Til the Clouds Roll By ?

Looking forward to the Taylor-Burton Collection later on this year!

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks