What's new

Upcoming DVD releases (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've been able to find out through contacts here in Hollywood about a few DVDs that are close to being completed. Forgive me if some of these have been announced. This is just some info I ran across.

The Right Stuff: Special Edition (16X9, full-length version)

Giant (not sure if this is anamorphic or not -- the aspect ratio is listed as 1.66, but it says nothing about anamorphic)

Chisum (some John Wayne movie)
Cahill (another John Wayne movie)
Foxes (the old Jodie Foster movie)
Courtship of Eddie's Father (the original movie -- 16x9)
The Love Bug (I think that's been announced, but I can verify it's 16X9)
Gay Purree (16X9)
The Joy Luck Club (16X9)
Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (2.35, 16X9)
One, Two, Three (1961, 16X9)
Kiss Me, Stupid (1964, 16X9)
Avanti (16X9)
The Four Feathers (2002, 16x9)

There MAY be a Rocky & Bullwinkle boxed set in the works, but I'm not sure.

I have reason to believe there could be a MAD TV Season One boxed set coming, but again, I can't be sure.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Giant we knew about, and Right Stuff we suspected (glad to have confirmation...great timing after the Columbia disaster to refresh our memories about what heroes the astronauts all are!).

Love Bug, Courtship, and Joy Luck were all announced, too. Foxes may have been, I'm not sure...but it will be welcome news!

Rocky & Bullwinkle and Mad TV are good news for TVShowsOnDVD, when and if they can be thoroughly verified. We don't do a "rumor mill" column there, though...so we'll wait until it's official.

The two John Wayne films are great surprises, and very welcome news! But my favorite item you have listed there is the Jack Lemmon classic, Avanti! Boy, I've always loved that film...it will be great to finally see it in widescreen!!! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome news, Brian. Did you ever see an e-mail I sent you, asking you about something else? If "no", say here and I will re-send.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm pre-ordering Rocky & Bullwinkle the moment I can! v
Now hold it, I didn't say there IS a Rocky & Bullwinkle set in the works, I just said there MAY be. I'm sorry I got everyone so excited over what could be nothing. I'm not being coy. I'm just speculating. It was one of those, "Hmm, it's odd that [blank], so I wonder if [blank]" sort of things.

I'll try to verify it (or verify that it's not true).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Some interesting titles (particularly the Wilder ones) if they pan out....

Giant (not sure if this is anamorphic or not -- the aspect ratio is listed as 1.66, but it says nothing about anamorphic)
The previous Canada only DVD was 1.78:1 anamorphic, but a pretty bad transfer.

Since all sources I can find suggest the OAR is 1.66:1 and Warner hasn't done any anamorphic transfers in that ratio, it will be interesting to see what happens.

My guess is that it just ends up being overmatted 1.78:1 anamorphic again. :frowning:

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Some interesting titles (particularly the Wilder ones) if they pan out....
Well, they should... But then, I also claimed the finger up the dress was still there in Roger Rabbit, and that's apparently not true, so what do I know? Though they did reanimate it so at least his hand is going under her dress again.

But I'm 99% sure that the work copy I saw several months ago had the finger sticking out, so apparently they changed it before mastering the DVD. I looked back at the thread I originally posted that in, and my exact words were, "The finger up the dress is back in" -- I don't think I would have phrased it that way if I hadn't seen a finger sticking out.

The work copies I see aren't always indicative of the final DVD, but since it was obviously a 16X9 transfer I'd just assumed that it was. Sigh.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, it was rumored Giant was being restored by LDI...I don't know why they'd spend the huge amount of money to get it LDI-ized without anamorphic enhancing. Perhaps WHV can finally venture into 1.66:1 anamorphic.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I WANT "KISS ME STUPID" AND "ONE, TWO, THREE "
BILLY WILDER AT HIS BEST !!!!!!!
CAGNEY, NOVAK, AND DINO, what can be bad ???
When are they due ?????
CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!
Any news on "PEYTON PLACE" ????????????????????????

Debbie E

Stunt Coordinator
What I want to know is when Quantum Leap and Golden Girls are coming to DVD... they were announced but no date yet :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Quantum Leap is from Universal, and none of the 8 television series they've announced for 2003 have been given dates yet. The most we've heard about any of them is that Galactica *might* be targeted for Sept., but nothing's confirmed. Uni is keeping further info close to the chest. I expect we should start hearing about these any day now, to get them spread out around the year. Unless something's changed. Which is possible, given slower-than-expected sales of Baretta and Law & Order.

Golden Girls was never "announced" by the studio (Buena Vista). It, along with Home Improvement, were mentioned as possibilities "earmarked for 2003" in an article from Video Store Magazine, which you can read at this Golden Girls fansite. Since we now know that HI is coming, at least in a "Best-of", then perhaps some form of GG is, too. But HI's news was broken by a producer of the show mentioning that he'd done work for the DVD's supplements. Noone has stepped forward to say if GG's in-the-works for sure. In fact, the only new "primetime" TV-to-DVD product I can think of right now that's announced from Buena Vista is Felicity Season 2, and actually that Amazon listing I just linked to is the only "announcement"; it's not in BV's press materials database yet!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes is the one I'm really excited about. One of the best Sherlock Holmes films ever. I wonder if the DVD will include the extra material (documentary and dialogue and still scenes from the deleted sequences) which was on the LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks