What's new

Upcoming DVD-A releases (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
For those interested in the oft-delayed Reptile from Clapton, I got shipping confirmation on mine from DVDEmpire today. So it looks like its making to more of the retailers now.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
DVDPlanet.com just added this new DVD-A title:
Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rear View for release on December 11, 2001 (same day as Hotel California).
Mind you, I'm just keeping tabs on the rock/pop titles, since jazz doesn't appear to me and I'm only interested in a handful of classical discs. I know there are other titles being released on December 11th besides these two!

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Under the category of "it's a slow Saturday morning and there's nothing else to do" (and possibly "complete waste of time"), I thought I'd post some suggestions for possible future DVD-A titles. I know it doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but what the hey.
Since Warner Bros. seems to be the driving force behind DVD-A, these suggestions are taken from the various WEA labels that I'm aware of. I thought I'd suggest only one title for an artist who has yet to be released on DVD-A. WB seems to be concentrating on titles that were particularly significant in an artist's career (not necessarily their best), so I tried to follow that scheme. Releases from the 70s also seem to be favored, so the list is skewed to that decade (but not exclusively):
Jackson Browne The Pretender
The Cars Candy-O
Harry Chapin Verities & Balderdash
Judy Collins Wildflowers
Phil Collins No Jacket Required
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Deja Vu
Christopher Cross Christopher Cross
The Cure Disintegration
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Roberta Flack First Take
Aretha Franklin Aretha: Lady Soul
Genesis Duke
Harris, Parton & Ronstadt Trio
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland
INXS Kick
Jethro Tull Aqualung
Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II
Gordon Lightfoot Sundown
Little Feat Waiting For Columbus
Manhattan Transfer Mecca For Moderns
Michael McDonald If That's What It Takes
Bette Midler The Divine Miss M
Peter, Paul & Mary Peter, Paul & Mary
Prince Purple Rain
Linda Ronstadt Heart Like A Wheel
Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze
Rod Stewart A Night On The Town
Talking Heads Fear Of Music
Van Halen Van Halen II
Gary Wright Dream Weaver
Yes Fragile
Neil Young Harvest
James Taylor Sweet Baby James
A little something for everyone, no? Again, not necessarily the best choice for each (hey - Court & Spark should've been the first Joni Mitchell DVD-A release!).

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Great list.
A DVD-A of Deja Vu... That could be great stuff.
How about other record companies such as:
Capital? Dark side of the Moon, maybe some Beatles stuff.
RCA? Harry Nillson - Nilson Schmilsson
A&M records? The Carpenters, etc
Lots of great stuff out there. What are the real roadblocks to opening the pipeline?

Peter_A

Second Unit
I'd just be happy if they'd release current CD's in DVD-A. I mean really, a DVD-A of a CD that came out less then a year ago!? Oh the mind boggles at the thought!
And yes yes, I know there are a couple current releases, but not nearly enough.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Are A&M and Capitol (along with Warner) in the DVD-A rather than the SACD camp?
If so, then perhaps we (or at least, I) can look forward to releases from Procol Harum, the Beatles and the Kinks, which would finally give me a reason to get a DVD-A player.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really know which record companies have agreed to release DVD-A titles. I know that EMI is testing the waters in December (if those titles street when they're supposed to), and I believe someone else mentioned that MCA/Universal will be releasing both DVD-A and SACD titles. Of course, any label associated with Sony (CBS, Epic, etc.) is strictly SACD-only.
As for new releases showing up on DVD-A, I think Warner Brothers is trying to support major new releases in the format. Granted, they're not day-and-date, but we've seen a few this year (Barenaked Ladies, Eric Clapton, Bjork). Trouble is, WB doesn't have a lot of major titles right now. I just checked out the Billboard Top 100 album chart and the only two that I think WB would remotely consider releasing on DVD-A would be Enya (an album that's been out for over a year anyway) and the John Williams' soundtrack to Harry Potter. Not terribly exciting (though I wonder if the clarity of DVD-A would finally let me hear what the hell Enya's lyrics are!). :)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Universal, which now has all of the polygram labels such as A&M, Mercury, etc. has decided to go w/SACD for the moment. They have not ruled out DVD-A, so they say, but only time will tell. I want my Police titles on DVD-A!!!!!

Chris

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
According to DVD Empire, some of the 11/20 DVD-A titles have been bumped:
Carly Simon No Secrets 11/20 -> 12/04
Queen A Night At The Opera 11/20 -> 01/15
The site does not show a delay for the DVD-A of Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has been pushed to the 27th as well.
Bummer. :angry:

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'm pleased with DVD-A more than SACD so far, but more titles (especially in multichannel!!) would easily sway my opinion the other way. i wont jump for joy until i see Dave Matthews Band in one of the formats...

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The Looney Tunes CD you are referring to is Bugs Bunny On Broadway, a stage production which appeared in the fall of 1990. Original Carl Stalling scores were re-transcribed and performed in front of restored original cartoons with voice and new effects tracks (on the original films, the effects track was part of the music recording process.
Some cartoons were shown with original scores intact.
While not available in DVD-A, the CD is still available: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...133268-6145350
I would like to see other studios pick up the ball on DVD-A before it becomes abandoned like Sony's Mini-Disc albums.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Hi Allen,
About your wish list, I have some more information.
I have this site for more info on DVD A releases..
Beware its in Deutch! :)
Link Removed
Click on "software" on the left and choose dvd audio.. Then scroll to buttom of the page and then scroll a little up - till u see "Angekündigte Titel: Pop, Jazz, Unterhaltung" - all titles below this line is (what I think it is, new releases)
Enjoy

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
As noted in the thread for Queen's A Night At The Opera DVD-A, this title has been pushed to January 2002.
To quote the little guy after the credits of Buffy The Vampire Slayer:
Urrrrggg!
Arrrrggg!
:angry:

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Some online e-tailers have "officially" added these two titles:
Doobie Brothers Captain & Me [December 18]
Billy Cobham Spectrum [December 18]
It's my understanding that titles are only added when word is received from the releasing company that the titles are available for pre-order (as opposed to simply being announced for a possible future release). Of course, it means absolutely nothing when it comes to delays.
No word yet on the EMI titles also reportedly due on the 18th.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure? I saw this item in a local store I frequent last week on 11/20.
I should have prefaced that notice by saying that the news came from DVD Empire, an online e-tailer.
In fact, I went to the Virgin Megastore today and they did indeed have two copies of No Secrets. :) Unfortunately, the playing side had some unusual scratches on it (mechanical in nature), so I'm going to have to exchange it. Grrrr. First time this has happened with a DVD-Audio disc.
I'd read here in the forum that B&M stores can receive stock before e-tailers, and this is certainly one example of that. I've promptly cancelled my order with DVD Planet, which still shows No Secrets as "coming soon."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks