What's new

Upcoming Dances with Wolves SE: Extended? (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Regarding the extended version, here are the liner notes from my PAL LD by Costner & producer Jim Wilson:

"Upon the release of the four hour Dances With Wolves the question naturally arises, why? Why add another hour to a film which by most standards pushes the time limit of conventional movie making?

We opted to produce an extended edit of
Dances With Wolves for several reasons. The 52 additional minutes that represent this "new" version were difficult to cut in the first place and given the opportunity to introduce them to an audience is compelling.

We have recieved countless letters from people worldwide asking when or if a sequel would be made, so it seemed like a logical step to enhance our film with existing footage. Virtually every character is enhanced, from the teamster, Timmons, to the tribal chief, Ten Bears.

Making an extended version is by no means to imply that the original
Dances With Wolves was unfinished or incomplete, rather it creates an opportunity for those who fell in love with the characters and the spectacle of the film to experience more of both.

We hope you enjoy it.

Kevin Costner & Jim Wilson"

Hope that make their motives for the EE a bit clearer.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The liner notes leaves me more befuddled on why they would release the extended and not the theatrical version. Strange. I'll definitely be keeping my old 2-disc DTS version...

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
How many DTS DVD's has MGM released? I think only Hannibal and I heard that's because Ridley Scott insisted on it.

It should also be mentioned that the current OOP DVD is beautiful looking. I don't think I'll be upgrading.

Neil

BrentJ

Second Unit
I have never seen this film in either format. So I hope for both to be released. A 7 hour movie wow!

Brent

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen the extended cut of the film, but I do love the theatrical version. I'd be willing to fork out for the SE, but I agree that seamless branching seems like a smart choice here.

Bruce

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My friend had the Extended Cut LD and adored it.I've never seen it but always wanted to.

I have the OOP version (one of the first 5 DVDs I bought)-If the new version is the Extended Version only, Ill just have both.

I have ZERO interest in seamless branching. I have never used this option and never will.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
For those of you still looking for the DTS version, it is still available in Korea (although coded Region 3). It's the exact same 2 disc set (NTSC) with the commentary.
If you are looking for the DTS version, you may also want to check your local Best Buy. I believe it had a resurgence in Best Buys throughout the United States a few months ago.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
From The Digital Bits:

MGM has officially announced the release of their long-awaited Dances with Wolves: Special Edition. Set to street on 5/20 (SRP $29.98 SRP), the 2-disc set will include the extended (236-minute) version of the film in anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, new audio commentary with director/star Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, new audio commentary with the D.P. and editor, The Creation of an Epic documentary, the original "making of" featurette and music video, a photo montage, a poster gallery, TV spots, trailers and more.

Sweet! Glad I have my Image DVD with the theatrical cut and the old commentary. This is like a 3-disc set now :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
doesnt look like dts on the new version.

I don't recall anything about the extended cut being done without his permission, but I do remember him stating his preference for the theatrical version.
i thought the movie that was edited differently then what he wanted was waterworld. he wanted the longer cut not the current cut. i could be wrong tho'.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Stock on Image's theatrical cut DVD with DTS just went through the roof!

This new edition looks great, but Im certainly glad I have the Image release.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I prefer the Dolby Digital disc, and that's what I have. DTS is nice, yes, but it's split over 2 discs.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
DVD File has the special edition listed as a 3 disc set, while The Digital Bits and Davis DVD have it listed as a 2 disc set.

I am assuming that DVD File is mistaken...

They also mention that you are entitled to a free MGM special edition when you purchase Dances with Wolves.

The full article:

The big news? How about a 3-disc set of Oscar winner Dances with Wolves, streeting on May 20th? Featuring the 236-minute extended version (the theatrical cut s not included) of the film presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround (no DTS option is included), the extras are plentiful: All-new, full-length audio commentaries with Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, and on the second director of photography Dean Semler and editor Steve Potter, the new "Creation of an Epic" documentary, the original making-of featurette, the music video, a still montage with introduction by Ben Glass, a poster gallery, trailers, and TV spots. Retail is $29.95, and MGM will even throw in a free special edition from a list of 40 of their top titles free. (This offer will be available for a limited time only, and via participating retailers only.)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I'm surprised that there has been so little reaction to the news that the discs will contain only the extended version. It looks like the old Image discs will be even more in demand for those who wish to see the original theatrical release.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Its disappointing that they haven;t included the original cut as well. Whats the quality of the old Image disc like, and is it anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks