What's new

Upcoming Dances with Wolves SE: Extended? (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Here is what the Digital Bits posted in their rumor section:

We know some of you have been looking forward to this title for a long time. So here's the deal. MGM's Dances with Wolves: Collector's Edition is tentatively slated for April release to DVD. Look for a 2-disc edition featuring approximately 6 hours and 20 min of running content. We've confirmed the following specs. You'll get the extended director's cut of the film in anamorphic widescreen video (2.35:1 aspect ratio), Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary with director Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, a second audio commentary with DP Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis, a 28-minute "making of" featurette, a 70-minute documentary, an original music video, a Dances scrapbook, a poster art gallery, an Easter egg and several TV spots and trailers.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
so does that mean it's just the extended edition????

If its both, thats bad. Cramming a 230 (or thereabouts) minute film, a 170 (or thereabouts) minute film, two audio commentaries, a 70 minute doc, and other special features onto two discs seems awuflly cramped to me.

Personally, i'd be happy with just the extended cut split over the two discs with features evenly distributed between each disc. But for purities sake, the original should be available too.

So what's the deal?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The extended and theatrical could easily be done with seamless branching ala Kate and Leopold. You would only need the space for one 224 min movie plus the 70 min doc. This can fit on double-layered discs fine.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm still confused on this.

Didn't Kevin Costner claim that the theatrical version was his preferred cut? If so, how could the extended version be a director's cut?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I would hope MGM would have the sense to remix the extended cut and put on a nice DTS track.

It would make it a great addition to the Image DTS edition of the theatrical cut.

Also, they do need to spread this over two discs, seamless branching or not. That's an almost 4 hour movie with extras!

Look at New Line's Lord of the Rings FotR Extended Cut. It was less than 3 1/2 and they had to split it in order to maintain high video quality.

Dan

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I have two sets of the current two disc with full-rate 1509.50Kbits dts.
I would hate to see the new release not have full-rate dts.
The sound track is one of the best I have.
Anyone have a clue?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I never liked the extended version. It seems that they just inserted every piece of film shot, extending scenes needlessly and ruining the pace. I hope they just put out the theatrical version.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I can't agree with you Chad. To each his own. For the most part I like the extended cut better.

Yes, there were a couple additions that did nothing for the film (like why the garrison left the fort and the further alienation of Dunbar from the Sioux as when the Sioux find the buffalo hunters and slaughter them), but all in all the characters were further developed, especially those of Graham Greene and Kevin Costner's characters getting to know each other's cultures and philosophies (as in the scenes when Greene takes Costner to an old abandoned Russian trapper's lodge).

The additional snippets of the "bad" lieutenant and his underlings at the beginning of the film helped introduce their characters. Otherwise, in the theatrical cut, they just appear out of nowhere at the end and have no real motivation for why they treat Dunbar that way.

Dan

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Above, I meant to say 2 double-layered disc. I don't think anyone is suggesting they could pack the extended release onto a single disc.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Didn't Kevin Costner claim that the theatrical version was his preferred cut? If so, how could the extended version be a director's cut?
really lessened my interest in the early scenes at the fort.

However, the extended version LD is the best presentation of the film with a PCM soundtrack. And boy oh boy is it a good one. :D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
But, there's so much added in without discretion. For instance, the beginning has several extra shots added in of the general riding around looking for Dunbar, seeing him, riding up. Unnecessary.

Also, introducing the colonel was a bit too early. Since it wasn't necessary that he and Dunbar have any history together, why did we need to see him early? It's not jarring when he shows up later, since we can just assume that a fresh new group of soldiers would be sent to the fort.

Sometimes a little can go a long way, and I never felt that Dunbar and Kicking Bird had anything but a full, respectful relationship. The movie worked bbeautifully in it's shorter form and the extra material is just extraneous.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Since it's MGM, I expect a DVD-14, which are common from MGM. Side A (dual layer) would have both versions with seamless branching, side B (single layer) would have the documentary and any other supplements.

-Lyle J.P.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I love the extended cut. Moments such as the alienation of Dunbar after the Souix kill the buffalo hunters really helped the progression to a Native American lifestyle for Dunbar seem less automatic. There was some things he couldn't accept culturally. Two other scenes are wonderful additions, IMO: The Sacred Place visit, and Dunbar telling Wind In His Hair not to scalp the general at the river ambush.

I cannot wait for this DVD to arrive!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lyle, the movie is four hours long. It won't fit on double-layered DVD and still look good with DTS audio, which I believe it will have.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I too prefer the theatrical cut, which is btw, the directors cut of the film.

The extended version had some worthy additions but on the whole added very little, imo.

Hopefully seamless branching will be used so fans of both can be happy.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The visit to the Indian buriel ground to me is an essential additon to the theatrical cut. Conversly, I wish someone would edit out a couple of the beatings Costner gets from the Army morons. I'm just get sick of seeing "noble Mr. Costner" getting hammered by the butt of a rifle and bloodied up just so to prove to the audience that he is an abused but hearty soul, and how totally irredeemable every other white man is. It's an ego thing, really. One beating makes the point, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks