What's new

Upcoming criterion collection releases? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Is The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion's first mainstream, big-league release, as in they're putting out the only product of a successful recent major film, not an upgrade several months later?
Dunno about DVD, but they had a number of them on LD, including Chasing Amy, Trainspotting and Crash.

edit: thought of a couple of others:

English Patient
Armageddon (IIRC)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Rialto Pictures has these titles on their list of future (theatrical) releases :

The Milky Way (Bunuel)
The Phantom of Liberty (Bunuel)
Gold of Naples (De Sica)
Army of Shadows (Melville)
Le Cercle Rouge (Melville)
Le Doulos (Melville)
Leon Morin, Pretre (Melville)
Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (Becker)
A Woman is a Woman (Godard)
Last Year at Marienbad
Mafioso

Most of them if not all will eventually get the Criterion DVD treatment.

Criterion has also acquired the following titles through deals with Wellspring and Kino :

The Tin Drum
400 Blows (and possibly the other Antoine Doinel titles)
Jules et Jim (Truffaut)
Shoot the Piano Player (Truffaut)
The Last Metro (Truffaut)
The Marriage of Maria Braun (Fassbinder)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Fassbinder)
My Night at Maud's (Rohmer)
Claire's Knee (Rohmer)

Finally, there are the other titles that have been confirmed by Criterion or mentioned by them during chats (some have been "coming soon" forever) :

Umberto D (De Sica)
Spellbound (Hitchcock)
Tales of Hoffman (Powell, et al)
Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (Powell, et al)
La Strada (Fellini)
La Dolce Vita (Fellini)
Ikiru (Kurosawa)
Dodes' Ka-Den (Kurosawa)
Solaris (Tarkovsky)
Ivan's Childhood (Tarkovsky)
Knife in the Water (Polanski)
Rules of the Game (Renoir)
Eisenstein - Silent Years Box
Cocktail Molotov
Cousin, Cousine
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson)
Dames du Bois de Boulogne (Bresson)
Through a Glass Darkly (Bergman)
Winter Light (Bergman)
The Silence (Bergman)

At the rate that Criterion is releasing new titles (3-4 per month), it will take them at least 2-3 years to get all these titles out (not that I have a problem with that).

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Definate purchases for Red Beard, Royal Tenenbaums, Earnest, and Tokyo Olympiad... That last one, Tokyo Olympiad, really looks unbelievably interesting after I found the multi-disk Criterion Laserdisc set. The completeness of the film, plus it's background info were just amazing...
I'll second the comments that Monterey Pop is a guaranteed purchase if they'll officially give us a date. They're still hopefully working on the Polanski "Knife in the Water" and Renoir "Rules of the Game" discs as well... I just love my little Criterion section on the wall (almost giddy with laughter)...:D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Monterey Pop: Criterion Collection is one of my most anticipated discs. Other than that, Royal Tenenbaums is the only title I see on that list that I really want to get (in fact, I already have preordered it at DDD) :D

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Regarding La Dolce Vita, Criterion says it should be out in 2003 if the rights negotiations with Artisan go as planned. I don't think they've ever said outright that it would be released. It's been a few months since I've seen anything on it so presumably the situation has been resolved one way or the other (either they got the rights or they didn't); if anybody has anything definite I'd love to hear it.

Regarding the Bressons, here's the exact quote from the October chat:

"The Bresson is likely to be Diary of a Country Priest for starters, or Dames du Bois du Boulogne. I'd love to do more."

It sounds hopeful but I wouldn't call if a "confirmation" of either.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Jeff_HR,

me too

I think this film is vastly underrated; maybe not Hitch's best, but way better than a lot of other stuff.....

Cheers

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on Gojira? It was announced on LD but then withdrawn, due to some sort of export restriction. Has anything changed on the rights to that title?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The Japanese studio Toho apparently is afraid of reverse importation of their Godzilla titles. So we get stuck with vastly INFERIOR versions. I'd LOVE nothing better than an all out Criterion effort on the original version of Godzilla-"Gojira"!

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Steven Soderbergh's SCHIZOPOLIS was recently mentioned on another thread. Anyone have more info on this one?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Where oh where is, Tales of Hoffmann? Criterion mentioned it ONCE before and as my emails go unanswered I'd love to have an idea. Anyone hear anything?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I want Tales of Hoffmann also. Criterion seems to be putting out some, in my case, unknown titles. I sure wish that I could see the release of more well known titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks