What's new

Upcoming BCI Ultraman DVD is pretty suspicious . . . (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

I grew up with the show as well so I too was used to the dubs. However, I've always wanted this show released as it is with the original Japanese and dub option. You are doing yourself a disservice not watching the original Japanese with sub titles as the dubs were done with priority given to the dubs matching the lips rather than telling the story. The stories seen with sub titles allows you to enjoy a somehat more adult telling as well as plot points left out in the dubs. I advise you to watch the original Japanese at least once.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I didn't know much was changed. In that case, I'll make it a point to watch it through with subtitles and Japanese language. Usually I watch non-english films with the original language and subs unless the dubs are really good, like what they've done with Japanese animated films.

John Cassidy

Agent

The show did not have any closing credits whatsoever. All of the credits, as I said, are at the beginning. It was the same exact deal with all of the shows up to Ultraman Leo. The US version, however, had brief closing credit cards, crediting the series to "TBS Productions" (TBS, Tokyo Broadcasting System, was the network the show broadcast on in Japan, rather than the production company, Tsuburaya Productions, which wasn't credited in the US) and United Artists Television.

Ultra Q, the first Ultra Series (and in B&W), followed a similar pattern, only after the "Ultra Q" title at the beginning (which used the same "swirling paint" effect as that of Ultraman), there was a prologue (which each episode had), followed by the opening credits (there were different opening credits in each episode), and all episodes ended with "The End." (At least one episode had all the credits at the end rather than at the beginning!) August Ragone aptly calls Ultra Q a half-hour Toho Monster movie!

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Is the "Ultraman-complete series" coming out in October just the same as the volume I & II released earlier?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It looks purdy!

I hope it's something new. I don't like the current dubbed releases. :frowning: They are just above bootleg in quality and that ain't right. I'd order this mid-oct if I was sure it was something worth owning.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just as a curiosity. But I was 5 or 6 years old when I watched. It was the first tv show I would never miss.

You have some great knowledge of the show john.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Once again we have Ultraman the complete series coming out in Sept '09. However this time it appears to be getting released by Mill Creek Entertainment. Is this just a re-release of the same product put out earlier by BCI or is this a different quality release? Also I noticed (to my unbelieving eyes) it's ONLY $14.98...? Is this right?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If Mill Creek is retailing it at $14.98 I say there's a pretty good chance it will be in the Wally World Bargain Bin by the end of the year, in which case I'll get it with a "Dealer Card"!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Mills Creek is just doing what BCI used to do. They acquire titles from companies going under and repackage them and sell them affordable to fans.

This is just a repackaging of the BCI releases.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It is. They are using the same remastered episodes that BCI used. The only difference is that they are repressing the DVD's.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

Mills Creek is just doing what BCI used to do. They acquire titles from companies going under and repackage them and sell them affordable to fans.
BCI never did that.

Mill Creek does a combination of acquiring directly from rights holders and sublicensing content from studios - struggling or not. Sometimes its from a company like Navarre that no longer has a home video company, but its often from a thriving company that either didn't see performance they hoped for, or are just looking to take advantage of Mill Creek's ability to widely place budget merchandise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks