up converting DVD players?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by NickSI, Mar 29, 2005.

1. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

My uncle told me about this samsung DVD player that up converted dvds to HD. I did some research on it and i looked at the samsungs and the reviews were all pretty much the same the picture looked great but the unit itself was crappy. problems with reliability and some weird reseting function that set the DVI port to off everytime you turn the unit off. requiring you to plug in an s-viedo or component so that you could travel through the menus and turn the DVI back on. these have put me off from this player. what are my other choices? do you like yours if you have one? please help. im getting a new HDTV soon and my current DVD player is on the fritz

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

They upconvert the signal to 720 or 1080, but they do not make the DVD into true HD. Nothing does that.

It's how well the units can take a 480 source and scale it up to either of those two HD formats.

I like my LG 7832 unit just fine. Not perfect ... but very usable.

I've had good experience with the Panasonic S-97 and like that machine once you understood the quirks (which were bad on the image)

Denon 1910 and 2910 have been good units ...

Regards

3. John S

John S Producer

I still like my Zenith DVB-318 very much.

If you buy one, you have to download and load the older firmware on it. But once done the Component Out 1080i is very good.

A fair amount of other options out there these days that will do it via HDMI / DVI connections.

What sort of budget you looking at for it?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Guys,let's talk about DVD players here in A/V Sources.

5. Matthew_

Matthew_ Extra

I love my Denon 3910.

6. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Sorry about the wrong section

7. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

i am looking in the $200 range not much above guys. this is going with my $2500 tv

8. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Nick,

I have the Samsung you mentioned, or at least I have the Samsung DVD HD841 which is basically last years model. The Samsung DVD HD951 has just debuted, but it is somewhat problematic as yet. The 841 though is another matter. When the player first debuted, there were issues with the DVI connection being recognized and not holding the last upscaling setting; it also had problems playing the DTS tracks on DTS encoded DVDs. However, the latest firmware upgrade has addressed those issues and made the player a heck of a baragin. At a $99.00 price at Costco, and the ability to play DVD-A and SACD discs the HD841 is a heck of a player. The only issue not fixed with the firmware upgrade is apparently the player's inability to pass "blacker than black" signals which means that on dark colored objects in DVD movies, sometimes the small details are not displayed very well. The picture coming from my HD841 to my RCA HDTV is excellent via the DVI connection. I love this player and would recommend it.[​IMG]

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Wow, the 841 for 99.00, that sounds great. I love my Zenith DVB-318.

10. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have the Denon 1910 and been very happy with it. You may want to check it out. It is near your price range.