What's new

Unwelcome visitor in my bedroom - Who is he? Is he dangerous. PS -- Vilcabamba, Ecuador if locatio (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I'm no help either, but my natural instinct would be to stomp his bulbous arse to oblivion. My humane side would put him in some kind of container and drop him off in the woods where he can run and play and be with his spidery friends.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's a spider (has 8 feet) and it won't bite you.

You're bitten by other bugs. Like mosquitos and things inside your bed.

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Cees Alons /forum/thread/291465/unwelcome-visi...ion-helps-actual-size-shown-help#post_3594448

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I don't think it's this spider, but they are found in Ecuador!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

It would be helpful know the size of the spider.

MickieM

Auditioning
Real Name
Mickie
Well, I read all the replys to my request. You are the only one that asked a sensible question. The photo I put in there shows the sctual size of the spider. I am hopeing that it is not a Brazilian Jumping Spider as those are the most venomous spider in the world. One person here thought perhaps it might be a brown recluse spider. I just do not know. It is no longer living. But I want to know what it si in case another comes along. Supposedly, we have no spiders in Vilcabamba, but that said, we are only a short distance from Podocarpus National Rainforest......where there are lots of spiders and snakes and whatever, very dangerous and deadly things. ?So - can anyone help? Thanks for everyones interst. And, yes, by the way...I do camp and no I don't just jump and run at every little thing.,..I am fun and I have fun...that is why I am in Ecudor...to live and enjoy life. It is the most beautiful and wonderous place I have ever seen. And super cheap too. There now, I hope that answered everyones comments.

MickieM

Auditioning
Real Name
Mickie
By the way, I did check out every spider on that link and did not see this one. That is why I am asking for help identifying it. And for the idiot who does not think that spiders bite....you are in for such a rude awakening if you ever go to the USA in the south or here in Ecuador. I was biten twice by a brown recluse and once by a black widow. Still alive, as most bites won't kill you if you get treatment. But, the Brazilian Jumping spider, also known as the banana spider, will kill you in 30 minutes or less. There is an anti-venom serum, but who keeps it on hand.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is no need to call anybody an idiot. And while the spider might be life size on your screen, that's of very little help unless we know what size your screen is.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by MickieM

And for the idiot who does not think that spiders bite....you are in for such a rude awakening if you ever go to the USA in the south or here in Ecuador.
Mickie, you're the one who is in for a rude awakening if you continue to engage in such rhetoric. This site has Rules. There is a link to them in my signature. Rule 10 applies here:

10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner.

As an extra "bonus", the person you called an idiot happens to be one of my fellow moderators. I can assure you that he is anything but.

We welcome all new members to Home Theater Forum, but we do expect people to behave according to the Rules. Thank you for your future cooperation.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
From the wiki article:

Members of the huntsman family of spiders are very common in Australia, but also in many tropical and semi-tropical parts of the world. They have been introduced to many parts of the world, including China, Japan and southern parts of the United States, such as Florida and Puerto Rico.

As adults, huntsman spiders do not build webs, but hunt and forage for food: their diet consists primarily of insects and other invertebrates, and occasionally small skinks and geckos. They live in the crevices of tree bark, but will frequently wander into homes and vehicles. They are able to travel extremely fast, often using a springing jump while running, and walk on walls and even on ceilings. They also tend to exhibit a "cling" reflex if picked up, making them difficult to shake off and much more likely to bite. The females are fierce defenders of their egg sacs and young. They will generally make a threat display if provoked, but if the warning is ignored they may attack and bite.
We had a few of these spiders in our last house in Florida - we had a lot of trees in our yard. They were quite large and I remember one in the bathroom carrying her egg sac around. I'm afraid she had to go because the thought of all those baby spiders hatching in our house ...

There were a couple in our previous house as well. We had some 13ft high ceilings and had to throw wet sponges at them to get them down!

Here is another link:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/IN/IN31700.pdf

I don't know why I didn't recognize the one in the original image - but I haven't seen one for a long time (and don't wish to)!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Marianne /forum/thread/291465/unwelcome-visi...ion-helps-actual-size-shown-help#post_3597506

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks