Unwanted free magazine subscriptions?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Today a copy of "Giant" magazine showed up in my mailbox, and the label shows me susbscribed until April 2007. I have no idea how I got subscribed to this magazine. Anyone else get free subscriptions like this? (Not that I'm really objecting, this issue did sport Kate Beckinsale on the cover, after all...)

2. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

For some bizzare reason my wife started getting PC Magazine. We figured it was some trial run (ie: six issues) we got opted in on, but we kept getting them for two years before we were asked to renew. By that stage I was enjoying the thing so have kept it up. [​IMG]

Somewhat similar; I used to subscribe to a Consumer Reports travel-tip magazine but it went under. They offered to refund my money, or give me a subscription to National Geographic Traveler for the duration of my subscription. Since I would only have gotten something like $3 back I went with Nat Geo, tho I wasn't the target audience for it. It's been THREE YEARS and I'm still getting the things! From the label of the latest one, it looks like it will finally run out in July of this year.

-paul

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Out of the blue, I got several issues of Entertainment Weekly in the mail, even though I never subscribed. I called customer service to ask why I was getting magazines from them and they said that it was a free subscription in affiliation with Columbia House (I was a member, but that was years ago). I asked them to terminate my subscription, and to their credit, they did.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Late fall I started getting the Wall Street Journal daily, completely out of nowhere.

Beyond the fact that I have no use for the paper (or any dailies), I normally check my mail every couple of weeks, and this thing was clogging up my mailbox to the point where I had to make a few trips to the Post Office to retreive the surplus, most of which was MORE issues of the WSJ.

Turns out the test prep class I took last fall with Kaplan included a free subcription. I called the WSJ to terminate it and they did.

--
    H

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I get FHM, Maxim, Stuff, and some other similar magazine that I have never subscribed to. I don't really want them. They aren't that interesting.

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Right......

7. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Wow, I wouldn't mind if Lapidary Journal, Bead Style, Rock and Gem, and Cat Fancy decided to send ME free subscriptions.

8. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Amazon.com started giving some free magazine subscriptions around Christmas with an order. It wasn't necessarily obvious.

9. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I get GamePro, Giant, Popular Science, and Best Life, and have never subscribed to any of them. Hey, as long as no credit card is involved, they get read and chunked in the trash.

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Pat,

I also received a copy of Giant this week and have no idea where it came from.

Justin

11. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I have a subscription to Maxim that I've had ongoing for two years now... I've never subscribed and have never received an invoice. *shrug* I just read and recycle. I love free periodicals! [​IMG] [​IMG]