What's new

Unusual Surround Placement for 5.1 (1 Viewer)

peter_van

Grip
Hi,

I have a new room (14x18x7.5) where the rear of the room doubles as a hallway, and a smallish side room is fully attached. It is something of an inverted T shape, save for one side of the T is larger than the other.

The net impact is I can't put my surrounds on the wall beside the listening position in anything of a normal fashion.

My choices are:

1 - Ceiling mount behind the listener, about 5' apart
2 - Wall mounted assymetrically, wiht one surround 7' or so from the listener, and the other 4' or so.

Number two is more viable from a wife appeasement standpoint, but I'm not sure if I can compensate with the assymetry with a receiver settings (cambridge 540R if it matters)

Finally, in either of these cases, would switching to a dipole help? I can get matched dipoles at the moment to replace my directs if it would help.

Thanks for any tips!

Pete

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Jim.

Dipoles tend to work if they have walls to reflect off of to create an indirect sound. You dont have a back wall.

As an experiment: put your 2 rear speakers on the floor behind your couch fireing upwards. One member had no back wall years ago and played with different ideas and said this gave him the most pleasing sound. He wound up using a low 'occasional' table behind his couch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks