Unusual Surround Placement for 5.1

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by peter_van, Jan 30, 2006.

1. peter_van

peter_van Extra

Hi,

I have a new room (14x18x7.5) where the rear of the room doubles as a hallway, and a smallish side room is fully attached. It is something of an inverted T shape, save for one side of the T is larger than the other.

The net impact is I can't put my surrounds on the wall beside the listening position in anything of a normal fashion.

My choices are:

1 - Ceiling mount behind the listener, about 5' apart
    2 - Wall mounted assymetrically, wiht one surround 7' or so from the listener, and the other 4' or so.

Number two is more viable from a wife appeasement standpoint, but I'm not sure if I can compensate with the assymetry with a receiver settings (cambridge 540R if it matters)

Finally, in either of these cases, would switching to a dipole help? I can get matched dipoles at the moment to replace my directs if it would help.

Thanks for any tips!

Pete

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I would mount them on the ceiling, angled down of course.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have to agree with Jim.

Dipoles tend to work if they have walls to reflect off of to create an indirect sound. You dont have a back wall.

As an experiment: put your 2 rear speakers on the floor behind your couch fireing upwards. One member had no back wall years ago and played with different ideas and said this gave him the most pleasing sound. He wound up using a low 'occasional' table behind his couch.