What's new

Unusual situation (1 Viewer)

MikeWa

Auditioning
First let me give you the hardware. Hitachi 32" HD monitor, HK AVR325 receiver and a new HD cable box, provided by Time/Warner. The television only has one component video input. Before I got my HD cable box, I ran my DVD player's video directly to the TV. When my new cable box came, I had to run both the cable box and the dvd player through the receiver(which has two component video inputs). The dvd player works perfectly as does the cable box, when viewing HD channels. The problem involves the non HD channels. The entire picture is shrunk down(it's a full picture, just shorter and narrower), so instead of being a 32" picture, it's more like a 25" picture. When I run an S-video cable from the cable box, the picture is fine. Of course, then I don't get the HD stations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The cable people are saying it's my TV, but the TV is formatted correctly as far as I can tell. As I said, the DVD picture is correct, as is the cable picture when viewed using an S-video cable . Thanks for reading this.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure why, but whenever you run the picture through the component video cables, it is double letter-boxed.... To solve the problem, run an s-video cable from your cable box directly to your tv (in addition to the component cables from thetv to the receiver). When watching HD, simply choose the TV input in which the component cables enter. When watching non-HD, choose the tv-input in which the S-Video enters.

Allan

MikeWa

Auditioning
"To solve the problem, run an s-video cable from your cable box directly to your tv (in addition to the component cables from thetv to the receiver). When watching HD, simply choose the TV input in which the component cables enter. When watching non-HD, choose the tv-input in which the S-Video enters."

That's what I'm doing right now, which works fine, it's just annoying. Thanks for answering.

MikeWa

Auditioning
"Is your Hitach monitor 4:3 or 16:9? If it's 4:3, I suspect you're encountering the same issue discussed in this thread."

It is 4:3, and that thread is exactly what I am experiencing. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks