Unusual lamps life expectancy ??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andre Boutet, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Andre Boutet

Andre Boutet Extra

I still use an old 1991 crt projector (3 lamps).

I bought this in very used condition in june 1999. At the time the projector needed some big tuneups to get rid of it's linearity and blurry pictures problems, so that's why i paid only 500$ for it. Anyway it seem to be on it's last miles for a 1991 model.

My question is how come the three lamps that i perfectly re-aligned in 1999 are still working like a charm today in february 2005.

What are the life expectancy of these kind of projector's lamps ? even with 4000 hours, suppose an average of 2 hours use per day since that time, that gives us the 4000 hours in about 5.5 years so that's allright since june 1999, but remember that this projector is in heavy use since 1991.

Of course, i'm very happy with this, but is it unusual ?

Thank you.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Properly treated ... they can go well past 15000 hours.

My Parent's 1988 Mit 45" is still ticking away.

Regards

3. Andre Boutet

Andre Boutet Extra

Wow !!! I didn't know that, mine was just "sitting" on the ceiling for all those years, with no special treatments (beside the re-alignment of 99).

Is it the same situation for the the lamp in a DLP ?

Thanks a lot.

4. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

DLPs and LCDs are more likely to have a lamp life within the 2000-4000 hr range. There's also the possibility of early bulb failure.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It should be noted that a cathode ray tube is not a "LAMP" per se ... although it is described as such in this thread.

LCD and DLP lightbulbs tend to be rated for 6000 to 8000 hours in RPTV's and 1500-3000 hours in FPTV's ... with so called Econo modes taking the life out to 5000 hours or so.

However, sometimes a bulb just fails ... well past its warranty period of 90 days ... but also well short of the rated life expectancy. Many manufacturers warranty for somewhere less than 500 hours or 90 days.

The 5000 hour bulb in my friend's Panny AE300 just died after 1400 hours ... Stuff happens.

Regards

6. Andre Boutet

Andre Boutet Extra

Ok, that gives me a new light on this mystery. So that "longevity" will be hard to top if i want a DLP as my next projector.

Am i right in wanting a DLP, i want a projector which can project on the screen a picture as close as possible in quality as a regular CRT tv set. In my mind, beside plasma, nothings come close to the quality and sharpness of details than, for example,a wega.

Thanks*

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Say, what is the projector model?

CRT tubes will have a lifetime based on usage time, and intensity of usage. It's very difficult to predict how long the tubes will last, because different units will drive the tubes differently, and also each setup will be set for different light outputs etc. But the 'standard' number is 10K hours for usable lifetime on tubes that aren't abused. Of course, you can easily ruin tubes in small fractions of that if you abuse the set with too high of contrast, or burn in still images.

If you move to a digital projector, you will have to budget in replacement bulb costs. At this point, running CRT and replacing the worn tubes is still cheaper per hour than replacing digital bulbs.

8. Andre Boutet

Andre Boutet Extra

Yes but if budget is not important, only picture quality, i better go with digital, right ?

p.s. My projector is a Zenith but i'm at work right now and i can't remember the model.

André

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

a high-end CRT still provides the best picture quality value, and arguably still the best absolute PQ available.

In my opinion, the closest thing to CRT are the 1080p LCOS units, which are both $30K.

10. Andre Boutet

Andre Boutet Extra

yiarrrr, thank you for your opinion, i'll stick to the DLP.

;-)

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I was just providing some input to what you said. Either what you said was not true, or you don't want honest input.

If budget is no object, it's pretty clear that CRT and LCOS are at the pinnacle right now. Some would add 3-chip DLP in that pricerange, but in my opinion 720 dlp doesn't cut it in comparison.

If money *is* an object, and picture quality is not your only concern(it rarely is), then you should state that so you end up with a good projector for what YOU need.

It seems that you need to restate what it is you want, or think you want, to get good advice...

12. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

For an extreme, while we haven't compared brightness, we've got some old CRT projectors ticking along with close to 30,000 hours on them.

They're the old Sony VPH-1001s... which, for us, are hard to beat. Big relay turns 'em on in the morning, they run for 8.5 hours/day, and then the relay turns 'em off at night. No cool down, or anything like that...

DLPs and LCDs, of course, require show-control to turn them on and off without making the lamps die really fast.

Leo Kerr

13. Andre Boutet

Andre Boutet Extra

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but for me a "budget limit" is around 10K, 30K is a little too much.

:)