Unusual forces of nature at work against my car.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_T, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Does this happen to anyone else?
    I recently bought a new car (96' Audi A4) that was in excellent condition when I bought it. I was so excited that the thing didn't have a scratch on it, that I babied it like it was a living thing. Did the Zaino treatment, parked at the far end of parking lots, I even tried to avoid puddles. One could even use the word obsessed.:b Well, try as I may, I think my car is destined to get nicked and dinged to death. 1st, it was a ding/scratch on the front bumper in a parking lot that left a nice scratch patch and white paint on my black paint. Then some nice scratches on the back bumper from my work parking lot. Then a ding on the drivers side door and to top it off, this morning as was opening my garage door, the vibration must have caused a bicycle luggage rack on a nearby shelf to fall off and tear right through paint on the front drivers side 1/4 panel. [​IMG] I about threw that rack out in the middle of the street. Seems like the more I try to protect it, the more it gets dinged up. Additionally, I can't believe how much these things get to me and turn me into seething caldron of hatred, so I give up.
    I'm not trying to make light of people who have gotten into actual car accidents that caused more serious damage to property and possibly self. Just ranting about the little dings/dents that seem to be attracted to my car.

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I feel you man. I have NO idea how people do it. No matter how hard I try my car gets beat to crap. Maybe it's because I don't notice all the little dings on other people's cars?

3. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Phillip. Nice choice on a car. :) I have a 2003 A4 3.0 Quattro myself. It's my second A4, the first was destroyed in a car accident.

With the dings, repeat this mantra...'Dent Wizard is your friend, Dent Wizard is your friend...' Them, Dent Busters, Doctor Vinyl all have paintless dent repair which is reasonably cheap and as long as there wasn't a break in the paint, you can not see the ding at all after repair.

Unfortulately with the scratches, you will have to have thoes areas repainted if it went all the way through the paint. If not a good detailer may be able to wet sand it down just enough to get rid of the scratches and and buff it back to a nice shine.

Good luck.

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'm sure glad I finally outgrew the image thing and got an older vehicle that I don't have to get stressed out if it gets scratches and dents from a parking lot mishap.When you live in a city like Houston, it's a losing battle trying to keep your car from getting the battle scars.

5. Philip_T

Yep, the last one I got this morning went through the paint. Highly noticable on black paint as well. At least I have a friend who works in a body shop that does pretty good work. Hopefully he can work some magic.

On a similar note, I have a friend who once caught a lady in the act of swinging her door into his car in a parking lot that caused a dent in his car. When he confronted her, she just shrugged and said oh well. So he proceeded to kick the side of her car door to return the favor and then drove off. Not that I condone retaliation to this extreme, but I got a chuckle out of it. Im simply amazed at the lack of common courtesy with some people.

6. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

7. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I just bought a new Explorer. The second day I had it, I was holding my key in the hand that I use to open the door, and nicked the paint. Doh! Only scratch on it so far, fortunately. Of course, the ones you make yourself are always appear bigger than they actually are.

8. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

About 8 weeks ago I bought a 2002 Taurus SES. It was a lease car and I got a very good deal on it. Half the price it sold for 10 months earlier when it was new. It was mint, not a scratch on it. I had to leave it at the Raleigh airport. I found a spot way out of the way, on the end, with a concrete barrier so no one could park on one side or in front of me. Well someone must of put a bag or something on my truck lid because it was scratched up good. I couldn't believe it. They must have dragged something across it as there are multiple scratches. Some people just have zero respect for other peoples property. I got it a little better with Maquires clearcoat safe scratch remover. I'm tempted to try some polishing compound, I think it's no. 7. but I'm afraid I'll mess up the clearcoat. I was getting over it now I'm pissed again. Oh well.......

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The first scratch is always the worse. [​IMG] I was almost relieved to get my first 'nick' on my beamer, this way the subsequent ones won't seem as traumatic.

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

3 years ago I bought my first new car ever (and I'm 50), a Montero Sport 3.5XS; 6 months later an idiot rear-ended it, 3 months later an @$$hole gouged keyed the paint all along one side while it was parked, 6 months later some fool doored a dent in the drivers door (how the door got past those large side protectors I'll never know).

I've given up worrying about it; I'll get it painted right before I trade it.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Be very careful with this stuff. I had a similar situation and went to town on the scratches on the trunk. Well, the scratches were removed, but the clear coat never looked the same in that area. If you do attempt this, just make sure the #7 stuff is meant for clear coat paints.

To the original poster of this thread: I feel for you. It really stinks to take such good care of your car and then to have others totally disrespect it by dinging it up. [​IMG]

12. Philip_T

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sometimes it helps to hear others who have had similar experiences. I've cooled off some since this morning when I had my near Bruce Banner experience. Hopefully I won't regress when I get in my car to drive home tonight. I was thinking of doing a temporary fix with some touch-up paint on the scratch until I can afford to take care of it professionally. Or maybe just let it go and live with it as it probably won't be the last time.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Philip_T

Hope you weren't driving around in south denver today, MUCHO hail. I don't see any dents but we'll see.

14. Philip_T

Philip_G

Hail! [​IMG] Well, my car should be protected in the under garage here at work, however, my wife's car was parked outside today at our house,,,,,,which is down south. Can we just reset today and start over?

Hopefully your car is okay as I think you just got a new car recently as well.

Well, Im off to the "headache advice" thread now.

15. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Philip_T, your bike rack incident reminded me of another story. I was living in Austin Tx. I opened the door leading to my garage one morning and hit the button for the garage door opener. As the door opened, to my horror, I saw it pick up one of my kids bikes and drop it on my trunk lid (just realized, trunk lids seem to be my downfall). Apparently one of my kids decided they would leave the bike behind the car the night before.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

How far south MR T?

I live in castle rock and commute to englewood, I encountered hail at the lincoln exit on I25, and heard it was about 1.5 inch dia. up in aurora, but englewood got off light, and castle rock barely got rain!

BTW for paint touch up www.langka.com works GREAT. If you'd like to try some I have a bit you can certainly drop by and give it a shot.

18. Philip_T

Bob,
    Ouch. [​IMG] Definately a car scratch horror story, but, and I hate to admit it, I had to stiffle a small chuckle when I visualized that happening.
    I relayed my story to a co-worker today and he had -zero- sympathy for me. All he said was "just wait until you have kids"

19. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I think you get dents no matter what, but once you don't care anymore - you don't care [​IMG]

Or you can do what I did. Buy a nice new (used, but you understand what I mean) 2000 DOdge Grand Caravan, pull it into your garage, then shut the door on the rear end of the car. I dented the entire backside and scuffed the paint, doh! Ever since, I haven't noticed or cared about any of the dings that thing gets. One or two days of pain and now it's all good!

Besides, anyone that would buy a new car in South Denver needs their head examined anyway, you know the weather is going to thrash that vehicle [​IMG] North Denver is where you want to be (as I stare at the incredible monsoon occurring outside my window in the foothills...)

20. Philip_T