Unusual Black Bars with PS2 Connected to 42H80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon B, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Damon B

Damon B Auditioning

I have my PS2 connected via Monster Components to my Toshiba 42H80. I play 2 games mostly at the moment: GT3 (16:9) and Madden Football (16:9). Anyway, I've noticed that on both games there are slight black bars on the sides of the screen. I'm running in "Full" mode which should be correct. I've verified that the games are set-up in 16:9 mode. My DVD player, which is connected to the other component inputs on the display, doesn not have this problem. Is this a PS2 issue? Or, is it a geometry issue with the display? Between the 2 games, the black bars are not similar in size. In fact, I think the bars are a lot smaller in Madden and the one on the left is almost not there.

I hope this makes sense. I want to know if I should be contacting Best Buy to exchange my display. Maybe I should try flipping inputs with my DVD player to help isolate the problem. Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Damon

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Have you setup your PS2 for 16x9 output in the setup menu?

3. Damon B

Damon B Auditioning

Ack! It has a setup for this in the menu? :b I thought about that at one point but never looked into it, because I had to go. I'll try that tonight, if it does in fact have this.

Thanks

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Give is a shot.
    It is in the actual setup menu of the PS2 itself. Let's home it is something that simple. [​IMG]

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

It's normal. On non-WS sets, the black bars usually get lost in the overscan.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The PS2 menu setting for 16:9 is just for the PS2 menus, not for actual games.

If you have a little underscan on the sides, its no big deal. As long as you see the whole image you're fine.

7. Damon B

Damon B Auditioning

Well, apparently it is "underscan". I was just concerned, because I have been reading that watching anything with black bars for an extended period of time could risk burn-in. Kind of frustrating.... Why does the PS2 do this? So, have others noticed the same effect?

Later

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Damon -- it's to compensate for overscan. That way, no important information will be lopped off the screen.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

As for burn-in, it is no different than watching 2.35 movies on a 16:9 set.

-Dave

10. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

I have the same problem with my Gamecube on my 40H80, but it doesn't do it with the Xbox.

Strange.

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I have the same thing on my PS2 and my XBox, but only on the left side. My TV (Mits 65907) has been properly calibrated using Avia and I have also reduced the overscan on it for DVDs using the Avia test pattern. I could adjust the TV to get rid of the black bar but then the DVDs wouldn't be 'correct' so I just leave it this way.