Unusual A/V cable in my van

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Curwin, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Dan Curwin

Dan Curwin Auditioning

I recently bought a GMC van. It has a built-in video system with a Video Cassette Player in a console between the front seats.
    I would like to add a portable DVD player.
    There is an aux input by the third row bench for this purpose, but I would like to hook up the DVD in the front console, in place of the VCP, to keep the rear aux input available for the Nintendo.
    Problem is, the VCP is connected to the system via some type of DIN connector, rather than conventional A/V RCA plugs.
    So what I need is an adapter to convert the DIN plug into 3 A/V RCA plugs, so I can plug into the DVD player.
    I haven't been able to come up with any info on this DIN connector.
    So does anyone have any ideas about this?
    Thanks.

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Dan, can you describe the connector in more detail or possibly post a pic (or find one to link to)?
    ------------------
    Luke

3. Dan Curwin

Dan Curwin Auditioning

This is what the connector looks like...

The video system is made by Rosen. I will be calling a local distributor on Monday. They probably have DVD players available that are compatible with the system.
    But I'd rather just tap in with my own DVD player if I could get ahold of an adapter for this DIN cable.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Dan, Do both ends of the cable look like that or is that the end that was plugged into the VCR?
    ------------------
    Luke
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on November 10, 2001 at 03:18 PM]

5. Dan Curwin

Dan Curwin Auditioning

Luke,
    This is the end that plugs into the VCP. I'm not sure what the other end is like - it's buried in the overhead console containing the monitor, wireless headphone transmitter, etc., and I don't want to tear into that.
    Dan

6. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

OK, The reason I asked is that I am thinking that that plug is proprietary to the VCR and that the other end is standard RCA type jacks. If you can get to the other end I am thinking you could just swap that cable out for a standard AV cable when you replace the VCR with the DVD. Then again I am just guessing here so if it is major work don't tear into it on my whim.
    Where do the RCA jacks in that 3rd row bench lead to? Could you use some Y adaptors at their destination (if it doesn't also terminate in the overhead) or even behind the panel they are mounted in and run another A/V patch to the mounting location desired?
    Of course the easiest answer would be an adaptor for the existing cable. I just don't know if you will have luck finding one. Its possible the Mfg. could provide some insight as to how the rest of the connections are made even if they don't make an adaptor. That would be better than having to take a lot of it apart just to investigate.
    ------------------
    Luke

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Another note, Is the Mfg. of the system Rosen or is that the name on the cable? Reason I ask is that a company named Rosen makes OE cables for a lot of companies. www.rosenelectrical.com I believe.
    ------------------
    Luke
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on November 10, 2001 at 11:05 PM]

8. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

OK Dan, Let's face it. I am of no help [​IMG] since no one else is chiming in I'll give you a link.
    Try here http://www.caraudioforum.com
    ------------------
    Luke
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on November 10, 2001 at 11:25 PM]
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on November 10, 2001 at 11:27 PM]

9. Dan Curwin

Dan Curwin Auditioning

Luke,
    Thanks for the ideas...
    Not sure whether Rosen actually makes the VCR, but that's the name on the label, along with "made in Korea". [​IMG]
    I'm going to give the car audio forum a try.
    Dan