What's new

Netflix Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My interpretation is that the $450 million is for the rights only. Of course, I'm not involved in the deal so I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me.

That being said, the budget of the first film was $40 million. Even though he technically could, Johnson does not strike me as the kind of filmmaker who will use an excessive budget. The only three-digit budget in his filmography thus far is Star Wars. So even if Netflix does pay more to actually make the films, I bet the budget for both combined would be significantly less than what they have already committed to paying for the rights.

On another note, Jamie Lee Curtis, who appeared in the first film, posted the following on her Instagram page confirming that the Thromby family members will not return in the sequel. I'm not sure why anyone thought they would because Rian Johnson has been very clear that a sequel would follow Blanc on a separate case, but apparently some people were asking. So here it is.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Hollywood Reporter has some more details on how and why the deal with Netflix happened, rather than Lionsgate and MRC:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm honestly less shocked about Lionsgate being cut out than MRC being cut out. Given that they put up the money for the first one, I would have figured they'd have an ownership stake in the franchise. That appears to not be the case, with Johnson and Bergman holding onto all of the intellectual property. In fairness to MRC, before The Last Jedi Johnson mostly made quirky little indie pictures. Even Looper wasn't what you'd call accessibly mainstream. They couldn't have known that they had a potential franchise on their hands with Knives Out.

The flip side of that, though, is that Netflix only has a two-picture deal. By the time that's over with, hopefully COVID restrictions will be a thing of the distant past and Johnson can shop the franchise to studios again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The flip side of that, though, is that Netflix only has a two-picture deal. By the time that's over with, hopefully COVID restrictions will be a thing of the distant past and Johnson can shop the franchise to studios again.

He could. But if Netflix is willing to pay $469 million and Johnson, Bergman and Craig walk away with $100 million each, I doubt they would have much incentive to look elsewhere if they want to make a fourth. No traditional studio would be able to top that blockbuster deal.

As I said, I think it's likely that we will still see a theatrical run for these because the chains will be more willing to work with Netflix post-COVID than before. The issue that stood in the way of chains booking Netflix titles before was Netflix breaking the theatrical window. Now that Warner, Universal and Disney have adjusted the theatrical window anyway, that isn't as important as it used to be. I think the theaters will be more flexible, especially on a sequel to a big proven hit like Knives Out was.

I think the bigger question is whether Netflix will see value in putting the film elsewhere besides their service. Soul, for example, debuted as a Disney+ exclusive when its theatrical release was cancelled, but it recently came out on Blu-ray. It will now get additional exposure to people who see it in stores and might buy it who don't have Disney+. Soon, it will be rentable on VOD services that aren't Disney+, which exposes it to people who might want to see it but don't want to subscribe to another streamer. Eventually, it will probably join some of the other Pixar catalog films that get shown on Disney's cable channel Freeform. Every time it goes to a new venue, that is a new place for it to expand its audience.

By comparison, one of Netflix's big releases in December was The Prom. It charted as the #2 movie on Netflix for the first week that it was out. By the second week, it slid down the list, and by week three it wasn't on the top ten list at all. Netflix gave it a lot of promotion around the time that it came out and by all accounts they got a lot of views on it initially. But now nobody is really talking about it anymore. You can still find it on the service, of course, but it's just a piece of content in a sea of content that is available on Netflix. Because Netflix is so intent on keeping most of their exclusive content, well, exclusive, there is no second window for it to widen its impact beyond their subscriber base.

I think it is very clear that Knives Out sequels will be very popular for Netflix. However, their focus really isn't on nurturing films and expanding audience over time. They have more of a focus on making something a hit when it is new and then moving to the next thing to promote in their pipeline. Knives Out opened well at Thanksgiving 2019, but what was really notable is how leggy its run was. It kept screens and kept raking in money for a long time as people recommended it to their friends and went to see it again and then new people found it over time. I saw it in early January 2020 with my mom. Then my brother came to visit in mid-February and we were discussing movies to see, and it was still there. My brother happened to choose Little Women because that one was available in 35mm, but we could have seen Knives Out and this was almost three months after it had come out. Considering that the theatrical marketplace pre-COVID was set up for big record-breaking openings, the degree to which that film hung around was rare and spoke to audience satisfaction. It continued to do well on the digital charts at places like iTunes and Amazon during the pandemic last spring and summer as more people found it there after it left theaters.

I know these are going to be big attention grabbers for Netflix when they drop. But what happens two, three, four months out? Are people still going to be watching and finding them if they become just older pieces of content in the sea of stuff Netflix library? That, I'm not sure.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety says Netflix's deal includes an option for them to make a third (fourth overall) movie if Johnson signs on. So it seems like they have ensured their involvement in the franchise over a longer term and the rights wouldn't be shopped again at the end of these two.

Claudia Eller at Variety said:
I’m still trying to get my head around why Netflix would pay a jaw-dropping $468 million for two "Knives Out" sequels — plus the right to make a third if writer-director Rian Johnson signs on.

More at the link:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I like how the casting is going. Similar to the casting of the original Knives Out, this is very much in the tradition of the sumptuous Agatha Christie adaptations like Murder on the Orient Express (1974 version had Finney, Bacall, Bergman, Gielgud, Connery; 2017's had Branagh, Dench, Dafoe, Depp, Pfeiffer) and Death on the Nile (1978, with Ustinov, Lansbury, Farrow, Niven).

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This makes 3 actors from the MCU to join... who's next, Robert Downey Jr???

Of course, Chris Evans was also in the first one, although he won't be returning because Blanc is the only carryover character.

As for Downy...they've got to save some cool people for the third movie. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The parade of stars heading to Greece continues. Leslie Odom, Jr. is joining the cast.

Incidentally, Odom, Jr. is most well-known for originating the role of Aaron Burr in Hamilton. There was a joke in the original Knives Out involving one of the Thrombys quoting the show and bragging that they saw it at the Public, where it originally played off-Broadway.

So if you want to be a deep dive continuity nerd, Leslie Odom, Jr. exists in this universe as part of the cast of Hamilton and Leslie Odom, Jr. also exists as a character in Greece in the next movie. :laugh: Unless Johnson wants to go super-meta and have Odom play himself? ;)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks