Real Name
Malcolm
First pic of Phoenix in Joker makeup:

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/21/joaquin-phoenix-joker-makeup/

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

Man, I sure hope that's a "pre-Joker" makeup job for his job as a circus clown or something. If that's the actual Joker makeup, this movie is already a Netflix watch for me.

And, I'd like to put in my two cents on the HULK:

Ang Lee's film is a pretentious bore.

The Incredible Hulk is a fun film and a loving tribute to the 70s TV version.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought Lee’s Hulk film was great. Much better than Ed Norton one.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I always loved Ang Lee's Hulk. I understand if people think it's boring, but I'm totally in the dark on how anyone can interpret it as pretentious.

As for Joker, I have zero interest. If the trailer grabs anyway, MAYBE. But I just don't know why Joker would get his own movie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This film just doesn't make any sense. DC had Jared Leto play the Joker (quite badly, IMO) in Suicide Squad, now this film with Phoenix playing the character while ANOTHER stand-alone Joker film with Leto is planned. WTF? I have about zero interest in anything DC is doing with its comic book characters, because they seem to have no clue about ANY of it.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I think this movie has tons of potential. Just like a one-off comic that doesn't tie into the normal continuity, they have a ton of freedom, a blank slate. Joker has some very interesting back stories here and there. (want to know I got these scars? - all comic book references in TDK) Count me very interested to see this. Not worried at all about the clown make-up posted up above. I have a feeling that's not what he'll look like by the end of the movie.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will have to wait and see the movie but currently I am not sold on Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. I loved Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator as Commodus but the Joker, sorry don't see it! I honestly feel they should have ported over Cameron Monaghan that played the Joker on the tv series Gotham. He would IMHO made a much better Joker and he sells it in Gotham. But lets be honest I grew up with the original Batman and Jack Nicholson made that movie! So years down the road we get a rebot of the franchise and I had my doubts but it worked and worked very well. Then the second rebot came out and Heath Ledger as the Joker are you kidding me. Heath Ledger as the Joker was incredible and he owned that character. Sure it was alot darker than Nicholson but Heath Ledger was amazing! I really enjoy Heath Ledger portrayal of the Joker and The Dark Knight is on my list of movies to watch after I get my new Marantz SR-8012 receiver! Besides the very good story and the characters the sound was very good and it will be used to do some critical listening on the new receiver.

IMG_8603a.jpg

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Heath Ledger as the Joker was incredible and he owned that character. Sure it was alot darker than Nicholson but Heath Ledger was amazing!

The Joker is a pretty dark character.

In one story, he beat the second Robin to death with a crowbar. Ayatollah Khomeni appointed him Iran's ambassador to the U.N. At the U.N., "everybody knew" that he was responsible for the deaths of thousands, but attended his speech, anyway. He returned the favor by trying to gas them all.

In "The Killing Joke", the Joker crippled Barbara Gordon, just to get at her father.

There was "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge". One of the associates that Joker tried to murder was a wheelchair-bound man. Joker shoved him into a shark tank to be "dessert". Another, younger thug smoked one of Joker's cigars. He guessed that it was an exploding cigar, but failed to guess that the explosive was nitroglycerine ("Rest in pieces!").

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I absolutely loved Heath Ledger's take on the Joker. It was a new, fresh supervillain portrayal we had never seen before. We haven't seen one as dynamic since. And The Dark Knight remains one of the best superhero movies IMHO.

However, that being said, what he and others have done since is not really the Joker. The Joker is, first and foremost, a clown. He hurts people because he thinks it's funny. Their pain is his punchline, and if it's done in a hilarious or even just humorous way... we get "HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!"

That's the crux of the character as originally written and set.

Mark Hamill and Jack Nicholson were both dark clowns. Indeed, for me the later Hamill projects have an aire of justification for going "modern dark" because the clown aspect has been established. Even the recent The Killing Joke carries that justification.

A new actor needs the freedom to combine "modern dark" with being a clown. Humor is essential to a character called the Joker. Hopefully Joaquin Phoenix, who looks like he's enjoying his work, will get that chance here.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The only way this film makes any sense is if it's actually a real world character study, taking place in real life where 'Arthur' is inspired by the comic book version of the Joker and starts taking on his character traits and personality trying to become him or something like that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Word is this is going to be filming in Jersey City, NJ, in the next week or two. It's set to film in Journal Square, which is the location of the beautiful Loews Theater. That was and is a movie palace. http://loewsjersey.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks