What's new

Joker (2019 Movie)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Title: Untitled Joker Origin Movie (2019)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Crime

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Zazie Beetz, Brett Cullen, Frances Conroy, Robert De Niro, Douglas Hodge, Shea Whigham, Marc Maron, Bryan Callen, Bill Camp, Josh Pais, Glenn Fleshler, Dante Pereira-Olson, Brian Tyree Henry, Jolie Chan, Mary Kate Malat, Leigh Gill, Sharon Washington, Evan Rosado, Adrienne Lovette, Mandela Bellamy, Caillou Pettis

Release: 2019-09-13

Plot: Chronicles the origin of The Joker, set in a gritty early 80's Gotham City

Joaquin Phoenix is going to be the Joker in an origin movie that's filming in fall 2018. It will be directed by Todd Phillips and produced by Martin Scorsese.

The rest of the DC slate has been re-ordered. Some tidbits:

Affleck will not be starring in Matt Reeves' Batman film(s), which will focus on a younger Batman. It's an open possibility he could be Batman in another Justice League film.

Geof Johns is no longer DC's answer to Kevin Feige. He has left the position for a writing/producing deal and is setting up his own company. He is writing the Green Lantern Corps movie.

The Flash film is being reworked as a Back to the Future-type lighter film. It will still star Ezra Miller. Production should start early in 2019.

Another Joker movie with Jared Leto is going forward, as are films Birds of Prey and Batgirl.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/joaquin-phoenix-joker-matt-reeves-batman/

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
For clarity: this will not be a DCEU-continuity film, but an "elseworld" type tale, within a sublabel along the lines "DC Dark" or "DC Black" or something similar.

Report says budgeted at around $55m, which is perfect for an experimental project that will not only likely be rated R, but will not be beholden to more mainstream comic adaptation expectations.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Geof Johns is no longer DC's answer to Kevin Feige. He has left the position for a writing/producing deal and is setting up his own company. He is writing the Green Lantern Corps movie.

He lost that position in regards to the films in January 2018 when Water Hamada was hired. This recent move removed him from the overseeing of all comic books and TV shows role. With his new production company he'll be focusing on a handful of comics/tv shows/movies that he'll be specifically developing as writer rather than overseeing other people's work. It's a much better fit for him, as he's not from a background of movie production like Feige was.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
How so? Movie was pitched, talent was gathered, the movie was developed, and is moving forward. This is how movie studios have run for 50 years now.

Two Joker films with two different stars attached - really? Who thought that was a good idea? Complete change of direction for the stand-alone Batman film. Johns leaving. This is just more of the same tumultuous flailing around, trying to find a decent trajectory, for the DCEU. The only upcoming project I'm even remotely interested in at this point is the Wonder Woman sequel. I had some hope for Aquaman, but after seeing Momoa's frat boy one-liner-spouting characterization in Justice League, I've lost hope for that.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
67B385FD-9B57-4ED0-B19F-9E91B8B066B7.gif

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For clarity: this will not be a DCEU-continuity film, but an "elseworld" type tale, within a sublabel along the lines "DC Dark" or "DC Black" or something similar.

Report says budgeted at around $55m, which is perfect for an experimental project that will not only likely be rated R, but will not be beholden to more mainstream comic adaptation expectations.
That's precisely what I like about this. It's a small enough budget that they don't have make $700 million to break even so they don't have to make something that tries to please everyone. And I'm not a big advocate for putting super heroes in an R rated movie but The Joker is probably the best example of a character that can be featured in a more adult movie.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As a fan of DC, it saddens me to see the cinematic representations of these heroes and villains In such a makeshift, whatever works desperation mode of movie making. WB should really just stick with Wonder Woman sequels and call it good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Complete change of direction for the stand-alone Batman film.

Matt Reeves signed onto this because he was told he would be able to do what he wants with the character and the movie. If they want to keep him as writer-director, I think he will get the same kind of carte blanche that Christopher Nolan did in terms of how to conceptualize the character. I fully support this and am interested in the film BECAUSE he is doing it.

Having all these other Batman-related things happening at the same time seems like a giant way to confuse mainstream audiences who don't spend their days looking up movie news on the internet.

I think whoever thought it was a good idea to have two Joker films going simultaneously should have their head examined.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Hopefully this will be a lot better than the live-action Green Lantern movie. The last few animated adaptations ("Green Lantern: First Flight", "Green Lantern: Emerald Knights", and "Green Lantern: The Animated Series") all had much better writing, with the TV series being especially good.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wish they'd stop with the constant origin stories. These characters are already ingrained in the broad cultural conscience. We don't need a rehash of the character's origin every time they decide to reboot a franchise or hire a new filmmaker.

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I wish they'd stop with the constant origin stories. These characters are already ingrained in the broad cultural conscience. We don't need a rehash of the character's origin every time they decide to reboot a franchise or hire a new filmmaker.

I agree when it comes to characters that audiences are very familiar with, such as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. But for the others who are making their live action feature film debuts it has been shown that general audiences need that introductory film. So origin/first story films for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Shazam, etc. are needed if you are going for the mainstream audience.

For the Joker, this is not a mainstream telling of the character. It's purposely a niche, outside of canon story. If you keep the budget low enough and know that you are not overtly courting the mainstream general audience then you can do such a story. It's not the same thing as a Wonder Woman origin movie.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Two Joker films with two different stars attached - really? Who thought that was a good idea?

The Leto film just barely started development, and IMO it's more than likely just a means to please an actor who is being asked to stay around for supporting roles in several other in-development projects. In other words, it isn't going into production until well after this elseworld Joker film has come and gone. Whether audiences are confused by the time a Leto Joker film may make it to the screen is a challenge for the marketing, but let them jump that hurdle when it actually needs it.

Complete change of direction for the stand-alone Batman film.

As was expected when Reeves was hired.

Johns leaving.

Johns is better off focusing on one project that he is writing rather than on overseeing the projects of others. Hamada is far better suited for the overall producer role.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
But for the others who are making their live action feature film debuts it has been shown that general audiences need that introductory film. So origin/first story films for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Shazam, etc. are needed if you are going for the mainstream audience.

I’m curious, how is this quantified?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
For clarity: this will not be a DCEU-continuity film, but an "elseworld" type tale...
If it's not in continuity why bother? FWIW, I'm the same with the comics. Back in the 90s I purchased a couple of Elseworlds titles and realized they're nothing but fan boy what-if junk and have avoided them ever since. I'll do the same with the movie. But then, in spite of them saying otherwise, the majority of the DC movies in the last 20 years play more like Elseworlds movies than in-continuity movies. Plus, who needs *one* Joker origin, much less two, especially with one not in continuity? It's already been done quite well by Burton. At this point it just enters remake territory, a needless rut "Hollywood" has been stuck in for quite some time.

One of these days, DC will get their act together and stop trying to reinvent the wheel with the movies. Just tell them as they should be told and forget trying to "modernize" or "update" them.

They did very good with the Christopher Reeves Superman (just the first - parts of II) and the 2 Tim Burton Batman movies. Pretty much everything else theatrically (they do great TV) has been pure dreck (and that includes the Nolan Batman movies - I've not yet seen Wonder Woman or Justice League). I have zero interest in a Joker movie done with Leto as he was simply horrible in Suicide Squad (but that was a pretty horrible movie anyway...). BOP and Batgirl interest me... but, based on history, I also expect them to royally trash those franchises.

I'm a huge DC fan. DC can't make a good movie using its comic franchises to save its neck. I feel it's because they keep trying to reinvent everything (but that's also a reason why I've given up on their comics too). I've read precious few Marvel books over the decades (Spiderman and Thor) but I'd much rather walk into a Marvel movie as those are, mostly, well done. Maybe that's *because" I don't read Marvel books. I have zero expectations going in so they have nothing to prove.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I’m curious, how is this quantified?

It's not - obviously it's my personal observation. But look at the MCU - even with high-level continuity, the only "solo" first film that doesn't explain the origins/history of the character is Spider-Man: Homecoming. Every other one does: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther. It's a tried-and-true method for a reason - people love them, as long as they haven't seen it in a previously popular version before, which is why Spider-Man skipped it.

If it's not in continuity why bother?

Because while not mainstream, not everyone likes the same thing.

Might as well ask why any movie gets made or any story gets told.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks