Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

Untamed DVD Review

untametop-150x150.jpg

A sprawling epic set in South Africa during the early years of European settlement, Henry King’s Untamed is a bit untamed itself condensing a...
Continue reading the original article.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for the review.

Well, at least it's not pan-and-scan. Non-anamorphic in this day and age is not good enough, and this film needs to be presented properly for the narrative weaknesses to be compensated for visually.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Matt. I also reviewed this movie (not the dvd) on Amazon.com. Terrific Franz Waxman score. The narrative jumps forward dramatically towards the end. I got the feeling it was a long book and may have required a longer running time to adapt it adequately. Hayward and Moorehead worked on two movies in quick succession- this and THE CONQUEROR, which sadly exposed them to radiaion from the Atom bomb tests in Nevada and ultimately cancer and early deaths in the '70's.
I have the Italian 16:9 dvd. Great picture quality and stereo sound, but a mastering flaw spoils the image in its final third. TT should do a blu ray (as I think they once planned to do in the early days). If a 16:9 master was made for PAL, I would guess that a HD master was probably made at the same time. Hopefully minus the flaw.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When we visited Fox last October, I happened to mention to the home video people how inconsistent anamorphic and non-anamorphic releases were in their MOD line-up. I used 23 Paces to Baker Street as an example of a movie that Region 1 got in a dreadful pan and scan transfer and that folks in other parts of the world like Australia got in a widescreen anamorphic release. The team was stunned that different transfers were used in different parts of the world and said research would certainly be done on it. Don't know what if anything that will mean for future releases, but the least they could do is correct mistakes already made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks