Unsure of the best Rotel amp combo for the price

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattCPT, Jun 14, 2002.

1. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I've read everybody's posts for some time now and I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to buy. I currently own a Yamaha RX-870 receiver that is only Dolby Pro-Logic 5.1. I want my system to have the ability to play all the new digital formats for movies and music. I have also decided that I want the best sound that I can when playing music. I listen to 70% music and 30% movies. Everyone states that seperates are the way to go so I've decided to buy seperates when I upgrade. I've compared Rotel, Sunfire, and B&K. I've seen good things about the Odyssey but I hesitate to buy what I can't audition first. I'm leaning towards buying the silver Rotel RSP-1066 because of the features, quality, price and look. I'm unsure of what to buy as far as an amp goes. I've only heard the Rotel's 1075 because that was all that was in stock. I liked it as much or more than the Sunfire and B&Ks. I must admit that I didn't find any of them to sound significantly better than my Yamaha. Of course none of the dealers had my Definitive Technology BP-30 speakers either, so I didn't have a fair comparison. I hope that I notice a big difference in my house with whatever system I buy. The Rotel dealer who is also the Sunfire dealer will give me 10% off any new amp. This seems in line with what others on this forum are getting for a discount. He did however say that he would give me the new Rotel 1080 for $700 instead of $900 because he has a lot in stock and the 5 channel amps have more of a demand. I would like peoples opinions on the amp set-up that I should go with. Here is what I'm looking at.

Rotel 1080 $700 200w x 2
    Rotel 1066 $630 150w x 3

or the 1075 $900 120w x 5

Do you think that the sound of the 1080 is worth the $430 extra, not to mention that I can get the 1075 with a silver + black finish to match the RSP 1066 silver/black finish.

Thank you for any responses and thank you for all the help that I've received from this forum

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'm a strong believer that if you can go for as much power as you can afford (especially if it's from the same brand of amps that you like the sound of) just for the simple fact that it most likely get the most out of your current speakers and simply gives you that much more power for your next speaker upgrade. I would be wary of the Rotel pre-amps because the former local Rotel dealer (he dropped them) had so many problems with servicing them that he gave up their line up.

3. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

Welcome to the forum, I still pretty new here as well. I must admit I feel that I learn something almost everytime I use the forum. I do not have much experience with the 2 and 3 channel amps from Rotel, but I am the proud owner of a 1095(200x5)/RSP 1066 combo. You can check out my review of the 1066 on the forum (just search 1066 review). The 1095 is a great amp in my opinion. I upgraded from a Yammy rec. (only 85x5) so as you can imagine the difference was huge. The bass is tighter and there is much more clarity and depth. I felt when I listened to the Yamaha at high volumes the sound would quickly become fatiguing no so with the Rotel. You can find lots of info on Rotel on this forum just try different searches. One last bit of advice, no matter what you read or are told by a salesman let YOUR ears make the final decision.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

5. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I have the RSP-1066/RMB-1095 combo and will be buying the RMB-1066(150w x 3) to handle the back speakers. It seems like a good amp. Especially for the price considering that the back speakers aren't used that much. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on an amp and hardly ever have it used. I though about the RB-1080, but couldn't justify the extra cash over the 1066 for just the back speakers.

6. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I have the RSP 1066 with a 1075 for my regular 5 speakers and a 1066 bridged to run the two center rear channels and everything sounds perfect as far as I can tell. My wife thinks they all sound fantastic and everyone who I demo my stuff to says that i did a good job. This was my first foray into separates so I think that combo of pre/pro and amps must be pretty good. I don't notice any tonal difference from front to back with the different amps either, it all sounds very balanced.

7. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your replies. Because my main concern is music, I think it would be worth having the 1080 as the dedicated two channel (200w) amp because it has more power and only two channels within the same box. I only hope that I'm not losing any sound quality with the 1066 running 150w bridged verse the 1075 running 120w straight.

Here is another question. I was very set on buying the Rotel 1066 pre-pro, but I have recently read that it is lacking with the DAC and Video Processor. Apparently they have skimped on these to keep the price down. I would hate to spend $1,350 on a new pre-pro that doesn't deliver some of the features found on lesser recievers. I'm now leaning towards buying seperate amps and added them to a new reciever with; digital, 6.1, neo etc.. I think that I would rather spend $400 now to get the reciever than $1,350. I could always upgrade to a pre-pro when the hardware is better. I would consider waiting if I thought that Rotel was going to upgrade the processors in the near future. Would I be able to buy a reciever that gives me the options I want at a good price and good quality? Remember if I'm going to use seperate amps then the reciever need only to have good features and quality not power. I also wonder if using a reciever as a pre-pro would make much of a sound quality difference. Keep in mind that I'm fairly happy with the sound quality of my Yamaha without the seperate amps.