Unsure of how to set up progressive scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jil, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Jil

Jil Auditioning

I'm about to do something that I probably shouldn't do (screw around with a system that works...), but I really want to tweak my system to get the best image that is possible.
    Our current setup is an **old** 27" Sony analog set with S-video feed from our HT.
    The Home theater is a grab bag of components we've put together over the past few years and it works great. It's basically an Onkyo 797 A/V receiver running 6 NHT speakers + subwoofer. The DVD player is an older Toshiba hooked hooked into the receiver via digital inputs (the CD and MD players are also hooked into digital-ins). The video signal to the ancient TV is via a custom S-VHS cable.
    The baseline problem is that the room is very oddly shaped and the TV is isolated from the rest of the components (hence the long custom S-VHS cable).
    We are about to upgrade our TV (hooray!). The only thing we have decided is that it will be HDTV-compatible...the rest is an ongoing argument [​IMG]. We watch quite a few DVDs and I am very intrigued by the possibility of buying a progressive-scan DVD to hook up to the presumed component inputs of the TV to get the *ultimate* movie picture.
    How would you guys set this up? I have found a local source for a Panasonic RP-82. The easiest setup is using the receiver as a gatekeeper, like we are doing now. So, that would require the purchase of a *long* (~25 ft) component video cable, correct? And hooking the component out of the DVD straight to the TV? I guess we would also continue to hook the digital out of the DVD to the receiver, but I am pretty unsure at present. FWIW, I think the receiver has component video input, but if we hooked the component out of the DVD into the component in of the receiver than the signal would go to the TV via the S-video and I assume we would lose the benefits of progressive scan....
    I apologize for the long-windedness, but I am really unsure of how to go about this.
    I would very much appreciate any advice before I plunge ahead with potentially *stupid* and/or expensive plans.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jil

2. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I recommend getting a used front projector and a line doubler to do your 480p but if your budget or room will not allow it, than the best thing I have seen otherwise is the new Phillips model RPTV. It's around 1800 dollars I think. They do not have a DVI (digital video input) or HDCP compatability unfortunitly. You can get them at some places for 0 % intrest for a long time which is pretty simple to pay.

There are also direct view sets for as little as around 1200.00 or less that do progressive scan but I don't think your going to benifit from one of those.

A used starter front projector is around 800.00 dollars and good doubler would be around 450 dollars but you can get them for as little as 110 dollars. Sorry if thats to expensive.

If you have more questions feel free to ask here or e-mail me.

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Jil
    If your receiver has component video inputs, it should have component video outputs. Most receivers do not convert one video source to another.

As far as which way to do it is best, it's really up to you. There may be a slight degradation in video quality when running it through your receiver, but that really should be minimal. You can connect the video outs of all your video sources through the receiver then run all the necessary outputs to a specific TV input. The difference with doing this is that you would always have your TV on a specific input, and you decide what you want to watch (DVD, VCR, Cable) through your receiver. Some people find this easier, some find it harder. In your case, it might be easier to do it this way because of the long cable run you'll have to do.

And you are correct with the auido, just keep doing what you're doing in that case. And like Steve said, if you have any additional questions, this is the best place to ask them. I hope you enjoy your new TV.