Unsure of connections - would appreciate any help (REL / Pioneer)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Rae~, May 4, 2006.

1. Rae~

Rae~ Auditioning

Our new speakers arrived today and we are trying to connect them atm (well, I am on my own, until the b/f gets back).... and I am stuck on the sub connection.

We already had a Pioneer VSX-915 receiver - not ready to upgrade that yet as haven't had it for that long - but had only a crappy 5-speaker set (no sub), so we decided to get a decent speaker setup. It's for both DVDs and music, but probably more for the movies.

Living in the Middle East, we don't have much choice apart from LG, Sony, Bose, Linn, and B+W... (unfortunately B+W were out of our range... maybe next time).

Anyway, today we received our new speakers:

1 x Linn Trikan as a front centre
    2 x Linn Katans for front L/R
    2 x Linn Classik Uniks for surround
    REL Stampede sub

And if it helps, this is the rear panel of our receiver:http://www.leconcepts.com/amps/vsx915srearZ.jpg

Now, first off, does the LFE cable go into the 'subwoofer' port under 'DVD 5.1 input' (top, just left of centre on that panel pic)??

Secondly, I have read that we *can* connect the REL sub via the LFE connection only, but: will we lose much sq by not using the HI Level cable? Because I can't for the life of me work out where the HI Level cable's red/yellow/black lines should connect on our receiver...

Any advice GRATEFULLY received.... thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    Rae

2. Rae~

Rae~ Auditioning

OK, was obviously having a brain fart when I wrote about the LFE connection above - of course, it goes into the subwoofer preout on the receiver.

Still not 100% sure this is right, but anyway, have connected the HI Level cable via the front L/R speakers ports (at the same time as the "real" front L/R speakers). Sub is not working/ kicking in at the moment but I think that's because we have to adjust it/ calibrate all the speakers.

So, next is to do the MCACC thingy I guess, but in order to do that I have to find the manual for the receiver, which has conveniently disappeared off the face of the earth....

Cheers anyway [​IMG]

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

without reading your manuals (sub/receiver) and because I'm dense unless I've just been doing it and have manuals in front of me... I can't help with the specific best setup for your system.

Odds are high however if you get your inputs/outputs going for even a test run, to hear your sub you will have to access the Pioneer's "speaker setup" menu. I'm sure the B/F had sub to 'none or no' in your prior setup...change this to yes/on.

Be sure and do the Mcacc thingy [​IMG] makes all the diffrence in your sound stage.

...start low on any of your sub volume controls and your recievers master volume control (affecting all speakers) before demo with something like T-2, if you hear a funny Clacking noise...stop. Don't fry it before he gets home...he may not let you play anymore!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Rae. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

There are 2 ways to hook up a sub:

A) With a cable from the LFE port
    B) Speaker wires to the sub, then more wires to the L/R speakers.

The first choice is usually the easiest and best.

You now have to tell the reciever that you have a sub or it wont send anything to it.

Go into the setup menu and:

- Define all your speakers as SMALL
    - Tell the receiver that you have a Subwoofer

This will force the reciever to send the ".1" sound and all other low-frequency sounds to the sub. This is usually the way to get the best sound.

Hope this helps.

5. Rae~

Rae~ Auditioning

Many thanks for the response, Bob.

I ended up hooking up *BOTH* the LFE and the Hi Level connections between the sub and the receiver... am yet to get anything out of the sub but I know that is probably because - as you said - I have to tell the receiver that the sub now exists.

Will keep fiddling.... funny thing is, even without the sub working, the speakers themselves are such a step up from the crappy old ones.... *bliss*.... [​IMG]

Cheers