What's new

Unstable picture problem. (1 Viewer)

David Bane

Grip
Hi! I'm having a problem with the picture on my TV. I'm not sure what's causing it. The problem is whenever there is a bright scene immediately followed by a dark scene in a movie or show the picture becomes unstable and rolls vertically for a split second. It typically occurs during vivid explosions and TV commercials. It only happens when I'm watching a video source through the A/V (composite) cables on my TV, whether it's a DVD or VCR player. I've never had this problem before when I just had my VCR hooked up to my TV through the A/V jacks. I first noticed it when I hooked an A/V switcher up. (At the time I was using a 20 year old audio receiver.)I thought maybe the switcher was over-amplifying the video signal. Now I have a home theater A/V receiver but I still have the problem. Here is my current (modest) setup:
I have a Panasonic DVD-RV30 DVD player (non-progressive scan) (2 years old), a Fisher FVH-4903 VCR player (10 years old), a Sony STR-DE675 A/V receiver (1 year old) and a RCA 20" TV (12 years old). The TV only has a RF input and one set of A/V inputs. Throughout my whole system I'm only using standard A/V (composite) cables.
Does anybody know what could be causing the problem? How can I resolve it? I hope I included enough of information. Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Out of interest, David, how high do you have the contrast adjusted on that old set? Think about this too: Twelve years is a long time for a 20-inch TV of that make. You need something new in the TV department anyway, something better suited for displaying DVDs.

David Bane

Grip
I have the contrast set fairly low following the procedures set by Avia's calibration disc. Even before I had my TV calibrated I never had the contrast set too high. Except when I first bought it I kept it at the original factory settings! The contrast was almost totally turned up! I know that RCA 20" TV's aren't that reliable but this one has held up surprisingly well! I hate to give it up just yet because it displays VHS tapes without any noticeable grain. I've seen the way VHS looks on larger TV's and it looks terrible! I've got a lot of favorite movies that haven't yet been released on DVD (believe it or not)!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks